The resort is open all year, and if you choose to travel during the off-peak season (November-February), you will be rewarded with less crowds, easier and mellower waves and lower prices.
Macaronis Resort is a perfect option for those looking for more privacy than a boat charter, and the freedom of being of land. Also the resort option is more suitable for those wanting to travel with a non-surfing partner or family - with access to more facilities and activities.
Some of the exciting upgrades for 2019:
- No more overnight ferry: Mentawai Fast transfers - Just 4.5 hours.
- Greenbush only a 15-Minute Boat Ride with a new multi-purpose high-speed transfer vessel.
- Doctors on site - Starting in March 2019, qualified doctors are staying as special guests.
- More flexible trip lengths.
The resort is located right on Silabu lagoon, across the bay from the world famous left-hander, Macaronis, which is commonly known as one of the best and most consistent wave in the Mentawais. Boat charters frequent Macaronis break, but its consistency and perfection is worth a little bit of company and it’s certainly not the only wave in the area.
From 21st April 2010, a Mooring Bouy System has been implemented by the Mentawai Government Tourism Department, which limits the boats allowed to park up in Maccas bay to a maximum of 2, which is good to keep down the number of surfers. Also, from 5 to 45 minutes speedboat ride away, you’ll find Maccas Right, Bowls Right, Bat Cave Right, Green Bush Left and Silabu Left...among others. If you’ve watched any Indo surf DVDs, you’re likely to have seen a few of these waves in it.
Macaronis Resort is situated on the edge of picturesque Silabu salt water lagoon, just across the bay from legendary Macaronis wave. Tidal movement keeps the lagoon clean and cool to swim in, with magnificent sunsets that occur over the lagoon at the end of each day.
Macaronis Resort was recently refurbished with exceptional attention to detail and luxury. Located on the ground level is the resort Bar & Restaurant with professional chefs serving 3 meals daily inclusive in the holiday package, and a full bar serving a variety of beer, Australian imported Wine & mixed drinks plus snacks all day. The lower-level is also the community hang-out area with indoor & outdoor seating, ping-pong table, billiards, and other games. The large paved pool area has several seating areas, beautiful views, and sun lounges.
All Guest Suites are on the second floor, elevated 8m above sea level with open veranda sea views, air-conditioning, hot water, WiFi, and much more. Proper acoustic and thermal insulation through-out the building allows guests to sleep peacefully while others enjoy a late night beer.
Mark, the Aussie operator from Tasmania, is accompanied by other surf guides who are living the dream. It’s hard not to get jealous; but they are doing it with care for the village so that they’re benefiting from the presence of the resort. One of the major issues facing Indonesia is poverty, which is spread across its 17,000 plus islands, and existence of these remote island resorts are important in the fight against it.
Macaronis Resort not only donates a fixed amount per guest per night to the local village, but also employs the villagers to work at the resort, purchases fresh produce from them and also contributes toward local community projects. Mark has been in the Mentawai Islands since March 2001. He worked as a chef and surf guide on charter boats for three years before leaving to establish a land-based resort nearby his favorite wave.
Macaronis Resort guest suites were recently refurbished in 2011 to provide extra comfort, privacy, and quality. All 16 guest suites are located on the second-floor of the resort building, elevated 8m above sea-level with spectacular ocean, lagoon, and pool views. Each suite has a 4m veranda with seating and drop-down shades for privacy.
Specific focus has been made to ensure maximum thermal and acoustic insulation in floors, walls, and ceilings, keeping rooms cool and completely noise proof for maximum guest comfort. Our guest suites offer the highest quality Mentawai surf resort experience.
Located on the ground level is the resort Bar & Restaurant with professional chefs serving 3 meals daily inclusive in the holiday package, and a full bar serving a variety of beer, Australian imported wine & mixed drinks plus snacks all day. The lower-level is also the community hang-out area with indoor & outdoor seating, ping-pong table, billiards, and other games. The large paved pool area has several seating areas, beautiful views, and sun lounges.
All Guest Suites are on the second floor, elevated 8 m above sea level with open veranda sea views, air-conditioning, hot water, WiFi, and much more. Proper acoustic and thermal insulation through-out the building allows guests to sleep peacefully while others enjoy a late night beer.
- Spectacular Ocean, Lagoon & Pool Views
- En-Suite Bathroom with Hot Water
- 4m Veranda with Seating & Privacy Shades
- Split Air Conditioner
- Proper Thermal & Acoustic Insulation
- 32″ Flat Screen TV & DVD Player
- International Channels & Sports
- Macas Channel: Live Surf Cam Broadcast
- Work Desk & Clothes Storage
- In-Room Free WiFi Internet
- Bedding Options: Queen or Two Twins
- New Mattresses & Bedding
- Daily Service & Clean Towels
Bar & Restaurant
While you are at Macaronis Resort you will eat like a king! With international chefs preparing local mud crab, mussels, and prawns to perfection and selecting premium imported meat, you can look forward to a variety of hearty delicious meals. The chefs also prepare amazing and creative vegetarian dishes, soups, salads, pizzas, desserts, and much more…
If you are worried about the perfect swell arriving as you step off the boat, there is one thing you don’t need to worry about… the food! The restaurant at Macaronis prepares food with excellence involving a great deal of planning and sourcing locally and internationally to provide a high-quality dining experience.
The kitchen is staffed by professional chefs who prepare three hearty meals daily. They plan a variety of healthy modern cuisine that will provide plenty of energy for long hours in the water. A weekly outdoor BBQ on the sand under the stars is a highlight, with a delicious buffet of local seafood, marinated meats, and delicious sides, sauces, and desserts.
Local seafood is always on the menu including mussels, clams, prawns, gerapu, Spanish mackerel, and tuna all prepared fresh. Delicious vegetarian options and substitutes for any dish are not a problem.
Chefs prepare a variety of Western and Indonesian cuisine including fresh salads, pastas, steaks, beef rendang, nasi campur, and incredible desserts. Desserts are served after lunch and dinner and include chocolate cashew cookies, cheesecake, tropical fruit crumble with fresh cream, coconut chocolate slice, banana chocolate chip muffins and many more that will simply melt in your mouth.
Macaronis Bar serves a variety of exotic cocktails, imported Australian red and white wine, liquor, beer, espresso, and snacks. Below is a list of our tempting and delicious signature cocktails – the perfect way to end a day by the pool. Just ask for your special request and our bar staff can prepare it for you (subject to ingredient availability).
Daily Meals Included
Coffee, Tea, Guava & Mango Juice, Fruit, and Baked Treats are available all day.
- Early Cold Breakfast Cereal & Toast Bar
- Mid-Morning Hot Breakfast of Your Choice
- Mid-Day Hearty Plated Lunch
- 3 Course Dinner or Self-Serve Buffet
Surf & Other Activities
The tropical paradise that surrounds Macaronis Resort offers so much more than amazing surfing. The resort is stocked up with recreational equipment to make exploring and enjoying the local environment easy for you. Kayaks, paddle boards, fishing equipment, snorkeling gear, and more are available for use free of charge so the whole family can get out and enjoy the surroundings.
Included in trip packages are speed boat rides with guides for any activity you would like to arrange including village visits, snorkeling trips, fishing trips, and exploring. The resort hosts and guides offer their expertise in equipment and local knowledge of the best spots for fishing and snorkeling.
There are two nearby beaches for exploring as well. One you can walk directly to from the resort out to the point where beautiful large shells can be found among the coral. A longer stretch of white sand beach extends around the bay across the small channel which you can get to by paddle board, kayak, swimming, or a quick boat ride.
- Surfing for All Levels
- Snorkeling & Spear Fishing
- Stand Up Paddling the Lagoon
- Ping Pong & Billiards
- Guided Visits to Local Villages
- Swimming in the Pool
- Trolling and Bottom Fishing
- Mangrove Tours
- Beach Combing & Exploring
All of the below equipment is available at no extra charge to you.
- Snorkeling Gear & Fins (10 sets)
- 2 Sea Kayaks
- 2 Stand up Paddle Boards + Paddles
- 2 Soft-top Learner Surf Boards
- Fishing Equipment (Rods & Tackle)
- 2 Quality Spear Guns
The resort also has a range of high-performance Firewire surf boards for hire.
Performance Surf Board Rental Rates:
Full Day: AUD $25
Per Session: AUD $10
Learning Boards are FREE
|7 nights||Surfer - Shared Room with Surfer||Room||US$1,739||Per person||01 Apr-01 Apr|
|7 nights||Non-Surfer / Beginner - Private Room||Room||US$1,208||Per person||01 Apr-01 Apr|
|7 nights||Non-Surfer / Beginner - Shared Room||Package||US$942||Per person||01 Apr-01 Apr|
|7 nights||Surfer - Private Room or Shared with Non-Surfer||Room||US$1,884||Per person||01 Apr-01 Apr|
- Peak & Shoulder Season Early Bird Special, Save up to 20% Off: The first 7 Surfers who book in get 20% Off, the next 7 get 10% Off & the last 6 pay full price.
- Summer Season Early Bird Special: up to 30% Off in December, January & February: Visiting in summer months means low crowds, perfect medium sized surf and up to 30% Off regular Surfer rates! The first 10 Surfers who book in get 30% Off, the following 10 get 20% off. Bring along your family and enjoy the perfect surfing holiday in paradise.
- Children under 5 are free and children 6-12 pay non-surfer rates.
- Prices above are per person prices, and are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations until paid in full.
- Please click "Enquire Here" or "On Special" to email us or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf travel specialists.
- Every surfer visiting the Mentawai is required to pay the Mentawai Regional Government Surfer Tax of IDR 1,000,000 for 15 days surfing in the region. This is normally paid on arrival in cash (Indonesian Rupiah) and collected by the local operator before departing Padang. You will be issued a wristband with dates. Please ensure you have this for your entire stay in the Mentawai.
Package Prices Include:
- Guest Suite Accommodation: Queen or two single beds, air-conditioning, daily room cleaning, fresh towels, sheets changed twice a week, ensuite bathroom, hot shower, work desk, clothes storage, in-room WiFi internet, 32″ flat screen TV with international channels and live surf cam Macas TV feed, DVD player and large private veranda.
- Meals: Early Continental Breakfast Buffet, Hot Made-to-Order Breakfast, Plated Lunch, Three Course or Buffet Dinner.
- Beverages: Purified Drinking Water, Juice, Milk, Brewed Coffee and Tea Making Facilities All Day.
- Surf Boat Transfers: All boat rides to surf at Macaronis and other local surf breaks, plus occasional day trips to more distant surf breaks within a range of 25 miles, depending on surf conditions.
- Recreational Boat Use: Including guide to go fishing, snorkeling, to the village, or island exploring.
- Recreational Equipment: Includes snorkeling gear (10x), spear-fishing equipment (3 quality guns), trolling and popping fishing equipment, 2 sea kayaks, 2 stand up paddle boards and a range of beginner soft-top surf boards.
- Internet: Free wifi internet in-room & through-out resort grounds.
- Mobile Phone Signal Booster: Allows SMS and phone calls when signal is strong enough.
- Stainless Drinking Flask: Plastic throw-away water bottles are banned from the island.
- Hotel & Restaurant Tax: 10% Hotel & Restaurant Tax levied by Mentawai Govt on food, beverage and accommodation is inclusive.
- Local Village Donation: Silabu Village Donation Rp. 20.000 / day.
- Round trip transfers from the airport to the resort.
- Bar Menu Items
- Spa Treatments
- Photography / Videography Service
- Firewire Surfboard Hire
- Visa on Arrival to Indonesia: USD $25
- Airport Departure Tax: Rp. 100.000
- Travel Insurance
- Laundry Service
- Child Minding Services
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Manuela Neumann (October 2017)
I had a great time, such an amazing experience, so glad I've picked The Perfect Wave, they putted me in the Perfect place at Perfect time... pure nature, beautiful culture, everything on point... thanks for sure I will come back✌️💙🌊🦎🏄♀️
Paul (February 2017)
Macaronis resort was fabulous. Staff super helpful, meals great, accomodation very comfortable and just awesome vibe for everyone at the resort. Always something to do, lots of options.
Surf wasn't great for whole week but got 2 good sessions at Greenbush which made the trip. Thanks to all for a great trip and I will see you again soon.
Adam (October 2016)
The Perfect Wave organized a great surf camp holiday at macaronis resort mentawai. A great holiday suited to solo travelers like myself or families alike!
Shane (May 2015)
I'd like to thank the guys at Perfect Wave for booking our trip to the Mentawi's. It was great to be able to just give them the dates and location and then sit back and wait for the paperwork to come through.
Shane (March 2015)
Perfect wave always manage to make things easy for you, all transfers and boats are taken care of. If you want a hassle free trip then you can count on the perfect wave.
Kahlil (September 2014)
Had an amazing trip and scored great waves. I recommend the resort for any couples or families as there are plenty of fun activities to keep everyone stoked. Thanks the Perfect Waves for making the booking process completely hassle free!
Wow what a trip! The wave were great, the resort and staff were awesome and the entire trip was well organised. I can't thank Sara and the crew at The Perfect Wave for a fantastic holiday and great support. Can't wait to get back there! Cheers guys!
Experience Begun: February 2014
Created on: Thursday 6 March 2014
My trip to the Mentawaii islands was unreal. We were taken care of from the time we arrived. The boat (The Mikumba) had an amazing crew who looked after us and the cook was terrific, but what made the trip was the surf - it was all time we were taken to some amazing waves that were not crowed and most of the time it was only our boat at the line-up. I feel this was because of the surf guide who knew his job and really wanted the customers to have a good time, not like a lot who are very jaded. From this trip I learnt a good guide who knows what is going on is going to make a trip. Thanks again, The Perfect Wave.it was a great trip and i will return
Experience Begun: July 2011
Created on: Thursday 28 July 2011
Hey Jamie,Had a great time> waves where sick. Matt