Mahi-Mahi bungalows and boat charters promises to take visitors back to the days before Indonesia became the tourist hot spot it is today. We're talking untouched beaches, friendly locals and waves to die for. Located on one of Sumatra's outer islands, Mahi-Mahi's bungalows are tucked away from the crowds on a stretch of pure white beach, which offers some fantastic surf. They also offer surf and fishing charters to nearby areas, specializing in seeking out spots that are overlooked by other operators. Mahi-Mahi caters to everyone from seasoned surfers looking to get off the grid, to beginners. They also offer opportunities for other island activities, such as snorkeling and hiking.
Once upon a time, Indonesia's Sumatra was one of those forgotten corners of the world, where only the most seasoned travelers set foot. With the international tourism industry now well established on the island, those days seemed gone. Mahi-Mahi has sought to revive the classic Sumatra experience with its collection of isolated bungalows on one of Sumatra's outer islands, Simuelue. They specialize in providing package tours including bungalow accommodation and surf charters to some of the area's least known gems.
Simuelue Island is just an one hour flight from the international airport in Medan, allowing for same day surf on arrival in Indonesia.
The bungalows themselves are located on 10,000m² of garden paradise, fronted by a white sand beach, and directly in front of an epic A-Frame peak – ‘Sumatran Trestles’ – one of the most consistent waves in Indonesia. Over 10 surf spots within 30 minutes of the bungalows provide uncrowded waves for beginners, intermediate surfers and professionals.
The highlight of their package is a 42 foot live-a-board speed boat. Outfitted with new engines, the speedboat cruises at 25 knots, enabling small groups of four to five passengers to surf, dive and fish the outer islands of northern Sumatra. Mahi-Mahi focuses on small groups, short time frames, and speed to ensure surfers their time at sea can be best spent swell catching, quickly getting from spot-spot and not overcrowding places with a dedicated crew.
Mahi-Mahi has five bungalows, each with traditional structures on the second storey, indoor-outdoor western style bathrooms, a spacious verandah, and relaxing living space. Each bungalow has a slightly different interior. There are comfortable, quality single and queen sized beds with mosquito net coverings.
There is a 4G internet connection at the resort. You'll need to buy a local data SIM card once you enter Indonesia, and you'll be able to connect to a fast mobile network.
- Single room - perfect for solo travellers located on the lower floor of the bungalows. The room has a private western style bathroom with no hot water. The bedroom has a large fan above the bed keeping you cool at night. The room has ocean views.
- Double room - Located on the upper floor of the bungalow, it has a balcony giving you an amazing ocean views. The room is with a large fan above the king bed and has its private bathroom with no hot water.
- Twin Room - Located on the upper floor of the bungalow, it has a balcony giving you an amazing ocean view. The room is with a large fan above the twin beds and has its private bathroom with no hot water.
- Java Villa (max 5 people) has3 rooms + 2 bathrooms with hot water shower. One room is a king bed room with A/C, the middle room can be either twin bed or king bed but has no A/C. The middle room can be turned into a lounge area if no one is using it during the night time. The single room is with a single bed and has A/C. The Java Villa has 3 balconies with amazing ocean views.
- Bali Villa (max 4 people) has 2 bedrooms with king beds and A/C. There is one bathroom with hot shower water, lounge and kitchen area with a fridge to store drinks. Villa has ocean views.
- Entire Villa (Bali + Java Villa = 9 people) 3 king bedrooms with A/C, 1 single room with A/C and 1 Twin or King bed room with no A/C. 3 bathrooms with hot shower, 1 lounge/kitchen area with fridge and 3 balconies giving the best ocean views.
They also provide decent food at their on site restaurant. Breakfast options include fresh fruit, muesli, fruit juice, coconuts and coconut milk, eggs, potatoes, banana pancakes, nasi goreng, baked beans, and fried tomatoes. Dinner and lunch options include Indonesian specialties such as chicken, fish, meat curries and vegetarian dishes (Gado Gado, tempe, tofu, rice etc.) and western favorites like steak, pizza, spaghetti bolognaise, burgers and tacos.
There are also a number of communal areas for guests to enjoy. There is a large open area made from a traditional teakwood joglo, equipped with a DVD projector, stereo, comfortable sofas, table tennis, board games. There are a number of other outdoor dining options. There is a private terrace, BBQ area and two level bar that is directly in front of the peak.
BANYAK BOAT CHARTERS
The Mahi Mahi is a 42ft 2×300 Suzuki HP live-a-board speed boat.
Capable of cruising at 20 knots, small groups of up to 6 passengers can surf, snorkel, scuba dive, fish, and island-hop to a variety of tropical islands.
Also available, multi-day trips to even more world-class surfing in the Banyak Islands, making your surf holiday epic and memorable.
- 2018 prices: US$1,200 per day per group (1-5 passengers) + 75 USD/day/extra passenger + 11% Tax.
- Max 8 passengers
Resort + Boat Charter Package
- 7 Night Resort + 3 Day Banyak Boat Charter Group Package
- This package gives group priority over boat & a 10% discount on the boat. Please give us the exact number of people participating and we will get back to you with a quote.
Surf & Other Activities
There's some world class surf right in front of Mahi-Mahi's bungalows, meaning its possible to start surfing on day one. They also offer boat charters to other parts of the island, where more surfing opportunities are to be had. Much of Simeulue Island remains uncharted and there are at least 10 empty surf spots within 20min of the bungalows that cater for all ability levels. However, Simeulue isn't just about surfing.
Simeulue Island offers excursions into pristine jungle and marine environments like the Indonesia of 30 years ago. There are stunning clean beaches, coral reefs, swimming holes, primary rainforest walks and waterfalls all nearby. Visitors can hire a motorbike with board racks and explore the island alone, or Mahi-Mahi can arrange guided tours.
|7 nights||Double Room (Based on 2 pax)||Package||¥90,489||Per person||01 Apr-01 Nov|
|7 nights||Double Room (Based on 2 pax)||Package||¥67,866||Per person||01 Nov-01 Mar|
|7 nights||Double Room (Based on 2 pax)||Package||¥76,010||Per person||01 Mar-01 Apr|
|7 nights||Bali Villa (Based on 4 pax)||Package||¥135,793||Per person||01 Apr-01 Nov|
|7 nights||Bali Villa (Based on 4 pax)||Package||¥101,845||Per person||01 Nov-01 Mar|
|7 nights||Bali Villa (Based on 4 pax)||Package||¥115,424||Per person||01 Mar-01 Apr|
- ABOVE ARE PRICES VALID FOR TRAVEL BEFORE APRIL 2020. PLEASE CONTACT US FOR A QUOTE FOR TRAVEL DATES AFTER APRIL 2020.
- Prices above are per person prices, and are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations until paid in full.
- These are example packages and most packages can be adjusted to cater for you requirements. Please contact us for a tailored package to meet your needs.
- Please click "ENQUIRE ONLINE" to email us or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf travel specialists.
Bungalows Accommodation Inclusions:
- Accommodation of your choice
- Three meals a day
- Water and coffee
- Airport transfers
- Free access to motorbikes
- Surf Guide
BANYAK BOAT CHARTERS
2019/20 price: US$1,440 per day per group (1-5 passengers).
- The Mahi Mahi is a 42ft 2×300 Suzuki HP live-a-board speed boat.
- Capable of cruising at 20 knots, small groups of up to 6 passengers can surf, snorkel, scuba dive, fish, and island-hop to a variety of tropical islands.
- Also available, multi-day trips to even more world-class surfing in the Banyak Islands, making your surf holiday epic and memorable.
Resort + Boat Charter Package - 2019-20 prices:
10 Nights package including 3 days (2 nights) boat charter.
2 pax = 6,440 USD
3 pax = 7,720 USD
4 pax = 9,000 USD
5 pax = 10,280 USD
10 Nights package including 4 days (3 nights) boat charter.
2 pax = 7,420 USD
3 pax = 8,540 USD
4 pax = 9,660 USD
5 pax = 10,780 USD
10 Nights package including 5 days (4 nights) boat charter.
2 pax = 8,400 USD
3 pax = 9,360 USD
4 pax = 10,320 USD
5 pax = 11,280 USD
- Accommodation type is single room, but you can upgrade into the premium Bali villa or Java villa for an extra 30 US$/night per person, or swap 2 single rooms for a double/twin room.
- We recommend max 5 people at the time, but an exception can be made if everyone is ready to squeeze in.
- Package gives you a 10% discount on the full boat price.
- During your 10 night stay, you will target the best swell and head towards the Banyaks.
- Rates are including all taxes.
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Julian (September 2018)
The camp is the epitome of relaxation and cruise mode. The manager Anna was fantastic, she was organising activities to do when the surf was too windy and she really went out of her way to get to know my wife and I. The food on offer is buffet style and tastes fantastic, it's mostly organic self farmed at the resort and not too spicy. The new infinity pool was incredible, it's deep but with a kiddies paddling pool as well, looks straight out on The Peak and is a good way to cool off a bit in the 30 degree warmth watching the crew ripping up the waves!
Matthew Pack (Sept 2017),
A big thank you to Glen and Lizzy at TPW. Nothing was ever a problem even when a mate decided last minute he wanted to come all was organised. We had an amazing trip and the Staff at MahiMahi were great. Big thanks to Nate on giving us the daily run down on the many spots and also the local boys providing the scooters daily. Awesome!!!
Boosa (May 2017)
Wuaooo what a trip on the mahi mahi boat with captain britt and his funny crew
Let me try to explain how good this Captain is... If you let him do his job you will surf your brain out, simple as that
We surf so many spot as the best tide and wind with insane conditions also he found amazing place to spend the night on a very nice a peace full seas
4 of the best days of my surfing life
Gary (June 2017)
This was the best surfing holiday I have ever had. We had amazing waves every day from 3-8 ft, predominantly groomed by offshore or light winds.The accommodation was clean and tidy, the Indonesian style cuisine was always plentiful, fresh and well cooked (often fresh seafood). Anna was the most accommodating manager (and ships chef), Sean `sick bru' helped us score the waves of a lifetime. Brit was the best surfing captain and Sailfish lander. Ross was always helpful for any reason. Ryan was a true artist/daredevil with his photography. Our highlight was an impromptu 3 day boat trip to the Banyak Islands to coincide with a new swell. The waves, fishing, scenery, and friendship on-board for this adventure will stay with me forever.
Dave (June 2017)
Over the 2 weeks we were with Mahi Mahi we had 30 surfs at 8 different breaks. We were completely(but happily) wrecked by the time we left. Haven't surfed so much in...........all my life!