PNG Surfaris has been operating in the northern island groups of PNG for over a decade and their knowledge of the region is second to none ensuring surf time is optimised in the best possible conditions.
PNG Explorer is a former ASI Shipbuilders vessel that has been retro fitted specifically for surf charter in PNG with no costs spared, for your absolute comfort and safety. She comes with double redundant power generation, dual tenders and on-board jet ski with crane serviced mounting. Navigation is via state of the art electronics, all new in 2016.
PNG Surfaris are the premier live-aboard surf charter operators in PNG and range through all the island groups, on the countries Pacific facing North coast. They have discovered and pioneered more PNG breaks than any other operator in the world.
The Explorer is based out of her home port of Kavieng and ventures to points east and west of this New Ireland base visiting many different small island chains. The vessel is extremely well equipped with onboard dive compressor, multiple tenders, light game fishing equipment and all the toys to ensure your adventure is first class.
In full commercial survey Explorer comes with a fully qualified crew and all the required safety gear and emergency communications equipment, there is no safer way to surf remote PNG.
You will sleep in one of the air-conditioned cabins, in the most stable location onboard. There are two (2) single double cabins and four (4) twin cabins. These cabins feature comfortable pillows, a light blanket and fresh cotton sheets and a personal reading light and fan. Bath towels are provided on board. There are two hot showers and three toilets on board for your use.
There are extensive shaded surfboard storage areas and spacious outdoor eating and chill-out areas as well as multiple showers and toilets.
Air conditioned accommodation is available for 10 guests in the form of four twin cabins and two (2) single double cabins that can be used should a couple be part of the group.
Food and beverage is run by a fully qualified chef for the 2017/18 season and features everything from 100% organic produce through to ultra fresh seafood.
- Laundry service
- 40 V / 50hz Australian standard electrical sockets.
- Interior lounge area with entertainment system.
- On-board movie and music archive.
- Satellite phone (check with crew for rates)
- Dive compressor and diving equipment for 2 divers. Guest divers must be certified and have adequate dive insurance (we recommend DAN Asia Pacific)
- Easy access stern with oversized duckboard to allow fast entry in and out of tenders.
- Large shaded storage areas for surfboards.
- Huge undercover day bed on ships bow deck.
- Upper deck outdoor dining area with roll down weather protection.
- Upper deck barbeque area.
- PNG NMSA Survey for 12 guests plus crew.
- Main engine - 3412 turbo caterpillar.
- Power Generation 2 x 4 cylinder Cummins with 37 KVA alternator with 3 and single phase available.
- Water capacity – 8000 litres and onboard 160 LPH water-making capability.
- Fuel capacity – 15,000 litres
- Cruising speed - 9 knots continuous.
- Navigation electronics – PNG Explorer has the latest in Furuno touch screen technology with an inter-phased chart-plotter, autopilot, depth sounder, 6kw radar and satellite compass.
- 1 x HF ICOM IC-M801
- 3 x ICOM VHF base stations. One in the mothership and one in each tender plus 2 x waterproof hand-held VHF units for the jet ski and on deck operations.
- 25 * life-jackets.
- 1 x 25 man SOLAS life raft.
- 1 x EPIRB.
- Plus all the usual flares, rockets etc. so you are safe at the sea!
SURF TRANSFER VESSELS
- 2 x 6 m alloy tender with 130HP Honda 4 stroke outboards.
- Tenders fitted with, VHF, awning, stereo, board racks, rod holders, safety box, life-jackets and first aid kits
- 1 x jet ski
ONBOARD GUEST EQUIPMENT
- 3 x kayaks
- 2 x SUP
- 7 x game fishing sets to cover popping for GTs to trolling for a sailfish.
- 12 x mask/snorkel/fin sets.
EQUIPMENT FOR HIRE
Dive tanks, weights for divers, BCD & Regs for 4 divers.
Diving is possible on board PNG Explorer. Because of the remote nature of operations the P & I insurance requires all divers to have a current dive certification card (PADI, NAUI, SSI) and the correct insurance to ensure they are covered for emergency evacuation and a de-compression chamber.
- Airport transfers and meet and greet in Kavieng.
- All meals and snacks on-board.
- Drinking water. Potable water is available on all decks of the vessel for you to fill your complementary stainless steel expedition bottles.
PNG Surfaris are working towards phasing out all single use plastic on-board, due to its devastating environmental impact. In the effort to avoid the use of plastic water bottles on-board, they have installed a state of the art water-making system capable of producing super high quality water and they will even provide you with a re-usable complementary bottle to re-fill.
- Use of snorkeling gear, fishing gear, SUP, and kayaks
- Surf transfers and fishing (a small surcharge will apply for lost lures)
- Alcohol - beers and wines
- Soft drinks
- Photo package
- Internet use
- Sat phone use
- PNG Surfaris T-shirt
- NASA fee: AU$15 per surf day per surfer (9 days on 10-night charters) = Total AU$135 per surfer.
- SAPNG fee: AU$50 per surfer (once off fee per surf season).
NASA recognizes that the communities who live in areas close or adjacent to surf breaks are custodians of the marine environment.
Under PNGs unique surf management plan system, NASA collects a levy from visiting surfers which is then dispersed between the resident communities and NASA.
NASA uses the fees for local area surfing development programs, including but not limited to member equipment needs, national and international competition participation, training programs and club facilities.
Fees payable are AU$15 per surfer per day payable to NASA. In addition to the NASA Fees, there is a once only Surfing Association of Papua New Guinea (SAPNG) levy of AU$50 per visiting surfer to New Ireland. PNG Surfaris is an endorsed corporate member of NASA and SAPNG. To understand more about PNG's world leading Surf Management Plan, visit www.sapng.com.
|04 Mar 2020||14 Mar 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|16 Mar 2020||26 Mar 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||1||US$3,303|
|28 Mar 2020||07 Apr 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|08 Apr 2020||18 Apr 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||5||US$3,303|
|15 Oct 2020||25 Oct 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|27 Oct 2020||06 Nov 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|08 Nov 2020||18 Nov 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|20 Nov 2020||30 Nov 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|01 Dec 2020||11 Dec 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|12 Dec 2020||22 Dec 2020||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|26 Dec 2020||05 Jan 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||3||US$3,303|
|06 Jan 2021||16 Jan 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|17 Jan 2021||27 Jan 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|29 Jan 2021||08 Feb 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|09 Feb 2021||19 Feb 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||1||US$3,303|
|21 Feb 2021||03 Mar 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|04 Mar 2021||14 Mar 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|16 Mar 2021||26 Mar 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|28 Mar 2021||07 Apr 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||0||-|
|08 Apr 2021||18 Apr 2021||Surf Charter||10 nights||10||US$3,028|
- Price is per person and subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
- Surf fees are not included in the price (Fees are AU$50 to SAPNG + AU$15 per surfer per day payable to NASA).
- The capacity of the boat is 10 surfers.
- Please click Enquire Online to email us, or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf experience specialists.
- Boat exclusive booking with fewer than 10 surfers is possible: For a group of 8 surfers, the surcharge is $5,000 = $625 per person. For a group of 9 surfers, the surcharge is $2,000 = $222 per person.
- Non-surfing partners’ and friends are welcome to join the charter – non-surfing rates are the same as surfer rates, but with no surf fees.
Diving is also possible on board PNG Explorer; however they require you to have 2 documents before you are allowed to dive:
- Openwater diving certificate.
- DAN membership and Dive Accident Insurance.
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Andrew (Feb 2018)
The PNG Explorer is an awesome operation, operating in an awesome part of the world. From Captain, crew,cook and of course the waves,all combined for the perfect surf trip
Blair (November 2016)
PNG surfaris and the PNG explorer were the ultimate host and experience provider ... for me it was a trip of a lifetime and I can't speak highly enough of the skipper Andy Rigby and his cracking crew .
Mal & Mark (November 2016)
Just returned from 10 days aboard this boat with 7 other surfers.. Must say the crew were real good, the food was excellent and boat itself was great . Whilst the surf wasn’t over big it was consistent (2to3 foot) and we surfed twice every day. A right hand point, a slab reef and some beach breaks all within a short boat ride away from our anchorage.
This area also abounds in WW2 History. Had a free dive (8 metres) on a Japanese plane still completely intact, visited General MacArthur’s base and airfield (which is also home to a cracking left) and visited remnants’ of hospitals and store areas.
Would strongly recommend as no matter what there is only ever you and your fellow passengers in the water and with 3 breaks to choose from sometimes only you and your mate on a right hand point.
Mal & Mark
Marcus (two trips in 2014 & 2015)
I've been to PNG twice now and can't wait to go back. I've surfed amazing waves, been barreled off my head and totally crowd / stress free ! It's not just a surfing boat trip though, it's a total adventure. The captain is an absolute legend (he's aussie) and he assures you get the best waves, dive pristine water's and that you catch a heap of epic fish. The weather, the boat, the food, the service, the islands and traditions of the locals all guarantee a trip of a lifetime!
Lachland (February 2016)
Our recent trip on the PNG Explorer was the best trip my brother & I have ever been on. It has been a dream of ours for a long time to do a trip like this. The waves were great, fishing great, diving great, crew awesome & friendly. Would love to do it again sometime. Captain "Undies" Rigby knows his stuff. Thoroughly recommend it.
Richard (February 2016)
The Perfect Wave hooked us up for a brilliant trip and made things nice and smooth so we could focus on the important stuff: the waves. Thanks Guys!
Thanks Marie - for organising ANOTHER trip for me. Yet again it was the perfect getaway. Good waves, good boat and good times. Two years in a row on the explorer - Perfect!!!
Experience Begun: March 2014
Created on: Thursday 20 March 2014
A great vessel, a great skipper, a great first mate, a kitchen that just kept on giving. If you want to get away from crowds, experience a great team who are interested in seeing you have a fantastic holiday I'd recommend Undies, Dartie and the PNG Explorer.
Experience Begun: February 2014
Created on: Thursday 6 February 2014
After looking at several products on the market The Perfect Wave put us onto the PNG Explorer. this was hands down the best surf trip I've ever had. From booking with The Perfect Wave to scoring empty perfection in PNG, everything was easy, well prepared and an absolute pleasure.
Experience Begun: January 2014
Created on: Friday 31 January 2014
I can't thank you guys enough for a fantastic surf adventure. The waves, fishing, food and staff were far better than any other charter I have done in the past. So good I'm coming back in a few months. Can't wait
Experience Begun: November 2011
Created on: Monday 28 November 2011
Had a great trip on the Explorer with excellent hosts in Jude, Andrew and Darty. All the locals were very inviting and fantastic fun. Had great waves and will be going back with the crew.