Plantation Island Resort is nestled on the 553-acre island of Malolo Lai Lai, part of the Mamanuca group of islands and is just 10 miles offshore west of Nadi International Airport.The resort utilises 23 acres of tropical landscaped gardens and coconut palms and has 7km of white sandy beaches, part of which fronts the beautiful sheltered lagoon. The resort is just 10 minutes by air or 50 minutes by boat from Denarau on the main island of Viti Levu.
Plantation Island Resort has joined forces with local company Surfin’ Fiji to offer daily transfers to Fiji’s most famous surf breaks. The surf breaks, including the world famous Cloudbreak, are located only 20 minutes by boat from Plantation Island Resort. They have been the venue for numerous professional surfing competitions, including the prestigious Billabong Pro Surf and Roxy Pro Surf competitions.
Surfin’ Fiji are offering daily transfers to Namotu and Wilkes breaks for FJD$50 per person, and Cloudbreak and Desperations for FJD$70 per person. The price includes return transfers to the surf, 3 hours of surfing time and safety support. Surf board hire is also available from FJD$40 per day.
Surfing has enjoyed a new resurgence in Fiji since the July 2010 release of the Surfing Areas Decree, which gives surfers unrestricted access to any surfing area in Fiji.
Mamanuca Islands Breaks:
- Wilkes Passage – This fun right-hander is great for most levels of surfers & is best at mid to high tide. Like most of the breaks in the area, it works best with S – SW swell. The only access is by boat. Unfortunately, it is very exposed and prone to being blown out by the prevailing trade winds. Afternoon glass-offs, though rare, can be a truly wonderous sight as clean right hand barrels peel off mechanically into the safety of the deep channel.
- Desperations – A classic wave that doesn’t really work until its 4-5ft but just keeps getting better the bigger it gets. A left and a right with length, speed and nice hollow sections.
- Namotu Left – A left that breaks all year round, best from October to April with lighter winds. When its under 6 ft, it will even suit longboards, but becomes very challenging over 6 ft. Namotu itself is a quality wave, but remember to kick off at the end of your ride – don’t fall into the trap of going for that final barrel section – no one gets out of it.
- Cloudbreak – The world famous WCT location is one of the best lefts in the world. With the new laws prohibiting the exclusivity of surf breaks, you can now surf this awesome waves any day you want. This is a serious wave though, and will definitely sort the crowds out when it gets over 6ft.
- Mini Cloudbreak – Powerful, fast wave. The best wind direction is south-east. Best around high tide.
- Lighthouse – South of mini-cloudbreak, near the lighthouse. Unfortunately, this one rarely breaks, but when it does, it’s for pros or kamikazes only. Hollow, fast and powerful with a right and a left.
- Restaurants – This is a good, fast left hand reef break for pros or kamikazes only. However, with the new laws prohibiting the exclusivity of surf breaks you can now surf this awesome waves any day you want.
Do you have any further questions?
We would be stoked to assist you with organizing this great surfing holiday! If you have any further questions, please check out the resort profile for more details, send us an e-mail or give us a call on 1300 00WAVE!
We stayed at Plantation Island for 10 days in May 2009. We have 3 children aged 4, 9 & 14 at the time of our stay. The resort itself was idyllic with breathtaking views from every angle, with the beautiful aqua waters and clean gold sands of the beaches. It was a fantastic holiday for families as it catered for all of us with Kids Club and the inexpensive and reliable babysitting service, leaving loads of time for us adults to really relax while they were kept busy each day. The accommodation we had was a beach front bure and was very roomy for the 5 of us & tastefully decorated. We had the luxury of spending our afternoons lazing in the seaside hammocks sipping cold beer and reading under the gorgeous palm trees. The atmosphere at meal times was a true cultural experience with the Fijians singing while we ate traditional local foods at tables set on the sand under the light of beach torches. The resort staff were helpful, friendly and full of character. Glen had the best surf experiences most days. A friendly surf guide took him and other surfers to the best spots, where the waves were consistently in perfect form. They were early morning missions so that he was back by 10 – 11am, which left the rest of the day to relax or take the kids snorkeling etc. I would HIGHLY recommend this resort if you want a fun, relaxed holiday with kids and have your man completely thrilled after surfing perfect waves!!! A HUGE thank you to Jamie & The Perfect Wave team for providing such an awesome service and a great “easy on the pocket” getaway package. We’ll definately be booking our Bali holiday next year through you. Until then… Amanda.