The Banyak Islands are one of the last surf frontiers of Indonesia. Just north of Nias, the islands of Bangkaru (“Treasure Island”) and Tuangku (home of the “Bay of Plenty”) hold a number of world-class waves and there is still more exploring going on. There are left and right-handers ranging from long deep barrels, fast and hollow down-the-line peelers, perfect peaks to long cruising walls with plenty of time to rip the faces apart. You’re likely to get more great waves on the trip than in months of surfing at home. Uncrowded tubes, plenty of waves, untouched natural rainforest, wildlife, epic Sumatran sunsets, remote islands and warm tropical waters await you. You can also go fishing, snorkelling, spear fishing, or jungle-trekking — no mass tourism here, just fun and adventure in the comfortable luxury of an air-conditioned motor yacht.
The Dream is a 26m boat with a 300HP Nissan V8 engine, cruising at up to 10 knots and fitted with life raft and all safety and navigation equipment. It can provide for groups of 7-10 passengers (up to 14 on request), providing the standards all guests come to expect in the Banyak Islands, and benefiting from the operators' years of experience in the region.
hosts Nico and Pierre cook excellent European cuisine, to complement
meals from the Indonesian chef. One of our operators, Danny, recently
visited this boat and says “This is the most comfortable boat in the
Banyaks – brand new and with great living areas. I expect to be
significantly upgrading the price once it’s better-known.”
The waves in the Banyaks are generally in the head-high to double-overhead range. There are places that handle three-four times overhead conditions. Generally, most people bring a standard shortboard and something with an extra couple of inches, but it never hurts to be prepared for a bigger day, especially in August, which is peak swell season. Trips often pass without guests needing their longboard, but if you're keen to give the big stuff a try, then you won't want to leave it at home.
- Treasure Island - Known to be one of the best right-hand point breaks in Indo, consistently offering up to four mesmerising barrels a wave with a nice almond-shaped ripable face. This is one of the jewels in the crown of sheer Indo perfection running a few hundred yards down a perfectly shaped reef. Always a favourite amongst guests as it satisfies all abilities. A taste of “Treasures” has you hooked for years to come.
- Indies 1 & 2 - “Indies” get their names as being the outside breaks and indicators for “Treasures”. These two waves are for the experienced only and produce heart-pumping barrels over shallow reef. The bigger the swell the better!
- Minis - Located deep in the bay “Mini’s” is a playful right which peaks up offering a short barrel and workable face which starts working on larger swells as it picks up half the swell of Treasure Island.
- Gorillas - An untamed right-hand beast that is rarely surfed and will sort out anyone’s ego. If you are keen- make sure you pack your peanuts!
- Cobra - A world-class left-hander which can produce an epic 8-10 second barrel or nice ripable face depending on swell direction. Cobra’s clean blue lines peel down the reef into a channel, which can provide a perfect photo opportunity.
- Warren's - A fun right-hand peak opposite Cobra’s breaking over a combination of reef and sand which can finish on the beautiful white sandy beach.
- Turtle's - A fun, playful left-hand peak which peels along finishing on the beautiful white sandy beach. A great take-off and workable wall which depending on swell direction can produce a nice barrel also.
- Clarets - A beautiful long left-hand point which peels down the line offering a perfect open workable face. You will be able to perfect your big carving turns or hunt out the inside barrels.
- Joysticks - A super fun right-hand peak which produces a perfect barrel on the take-off going into a nice wall for some turns. If you have enough speed you can link up into the inside bowl for a nice long ride.
- Toytown Lefts - A perfectly shaped peeling left located deep in the bay which starts to work on larger swells. You can cruise down the line or hit the lip over and over again.
- The Pig - A deep water right-hand break exposed to all possible swell. Rarely below head-high and will give you some exhilarating drops and big open faces.
- Migilas - Located inside of “The Pig”, Migila’s is a right-hand peak with a short perfect barrel on take-off and peels off slowly to the beach.
- Lizard's Nest - Somewhat fickle but if the conditions come together you will experience one of the best waves in Indo. Known to produce a magic 10-second barrel and any of those who have seen or surfed it are simply awe-struck!
The Dream can sleep 7-12 passengers. The bedding configuration is:
- 4 twin bunk rooms
- 1 king-size bedroom
- 1 bedroom for 4 pax with 1 twin-bunk and 1 king size bedroom
Both sleeping and living areas are air-conditioned, and there is a large second floor terrace where you can watch the waves. There are two bathrooms on board.
- Length: 26m.
- Engine: 300HP Nissan V8.
- cruising speed: 10 knots.
- all safety and navigation equipment.
- Fishing gear.
- Snorkelling gear.
- spear fishing equipment.
- width bed: 4ft7
- All transfers from Sibolga to The Dream.
- 10 surfing days / 11 nights accommodation.
- Three meals per day plus snacks;
- Free soft drinks, juices and isotonic drinks.
- TV set and DVD
- Fishing, snorkelling and spear fishing equipment.
- 3 beers / day / person.
- Meet & greet at Medan airport with transfers to domestic flight
- Domestic flights Medan/Sibolga/Medan
- Accommodation in Medan at end of trip if required
Note - Your Perfect Wave consultant will include these into your quotation and they will be more than happy to package your international flights as well.
|01 Apr 2019||12 Apr 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||1||US$2,020|
|15 Apr 2019||26 Apr 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|29 Apr 2019||10 May 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|12 May 2019||23 May 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|27 May 2019||07 Jun 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|08 Jun 2019||19 Jun 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|24 Jun 2019||05 Jul 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||2||US$2,620|
|08 Jul 2019||19 Jul 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|22 Jul 2019||02 Aug 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||US$2,020||
On Special - Whole Boat
|05 Aug 2019||16 Aug 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|19 Aug 2019||30 Aug 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||3||US$2,620|
|02 Sep 2019||13 Sep 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|16 Sep 2019||27 Sep 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|30 Sep 2019||11 Oct 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||US$2,620|
|14 Oct 2019||25 Oct 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||US$2,320|
|28 Oct 2019||08 Nov 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||US$2,320|
|11 Nov 2019||22 Nov 2019||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
- Price is per person and subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
- Minimum 7 people required for the boat to travel. Maximum number of passengers is 14 - on special request.
- Not included in the charter price: flights to Medan and Sibolga, Medan accommodation (if necessary), land transfers from airport to hotel.
- Please click Enquire Online to email us, or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf experience specialists.
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Clint (September 2018)
The Dream is a great boat, has a great skipper and you will surf amazing waves.
Jeff (September 2017)
The Dream - Can't rave enough about our trip. The boat, crew, food and captain were second to none. We came away with life long memories and friendships of one of the best trips ever. We'll be back for sure!
Dane (Aug 2017)
The trip was great. We had a some great days of surfing. The Dream surf charter is a great boat and staffed by great guys. Pierre and his crew did an excellent job in maintaining a high standard. The meals were awesome. All the facilities were there.
Adam (June 2013)
The Banyaks rule..a variety of waves when the swell is on.
Joysticks is so much fun and barrells too !
Treasures' definately a world class wave, challenging and intense,
and to top it off the weather is perfect and the water warm.
Definately a great place to visit.
Mark (June 2013)
Overall, the trip was fantastic. The dealings with you and the Perfect Wave were seamless and you were a pleasure to deal with. Very easy...
The trip itself was such an adventure, 2 days travel both ways to go for a surf is a long way to go, but well worth it. Given we had a group of 6 (of various abilities), as well as the other 5 guys on the boat, again of varying abilities, The Banyak's, as well as Pierre and Nico did a great job of making sure we all got our fair share of waves.
The surf itself was great, most days were between 3 and 4 ft, with a couple of bigger days and a couple of smaller days. Bay of Plenty was awesome, with 1 day all 3 breaks working giving
us plenty of opportunity to surf both big lefts, smaller rights and small lefts. It was probably my favourite day in the water.
Overall, given we'd been talking about the trip for 4 years, the 2 weeks we had are 2 weeks I'll remember for a very long time. Plenty of waves, plenty of beer, great mates and plenty of laughs. What else
do you need in a surf trip. I'll do it again as soon as I can.
Brett (June 2012)
Good waves, great group of guys on the boat, all round it was a good trip.
Walter (June 2012)
The trip there and back went like clockwork whenever we had to change flights or get accommodation someone was there to direct us. I've been to Hawaii, Tahiti, Maldives twice and now the Banyaks. I got more barrels on this trip than all the other trips and in my past 37 years of surfing. Treasure Island barrels fully slotted from take off right thru to the claw and out how long 150 to 200m? my adrenaline is still pumping writing this!
Alan (June 2012)
The Banyaks are out in the middle of nowhere, but the boat, crew, food and waves were all top notch. The complicated travel was pretty smooth considering the myriad of variables which can appear while traveling in Indonesia. If you want fun, uncrowded waves with your mates you could do a lot worse than jump on "The Dream" with Nico and Pierre, and check out the Banyaks.
Joel (June 2012)
Two friends from France had a dream to sail around the world in their own yacht and do nothing but surf. They had the boat ready to sail and were waiting for the season to change when a third friend convinced them to postpone their adventure, pool their money and start a surf charter business in the Banyak Islands, Indonesia. The offer was too good to pass up and the team flew to Indonesia, sourced a boat and spent the next 15 months lovingly re-building it from ‘the bones up’. The result is the best surf charter vessel operating in the Banyak Islands - The Dream. It is spacious, comfortable and has everything you could hope for on board. The last ten days have been a blur of barrels and warm water and I can promise you that I will be returning to this amazing part of this wave-rich country…