The Keyhole Surf Camp is your ideal guesthouse for an ultimate Nias adventure. Enjoy one of seven very clean bedrooms each with private bath, excellent menu packages, numerous leisure amenities, and “keyhole” access to the legendary Nias break is at your doorstep.
Nias is one of the most consistent surf travel destinations in the world. The perfect right-hander at Sorake Bay on the island of Nias was the first world-class wave discovered in the Sumatra region. Nias was first surfed in 1975, by Aussie surfers.
The April 28th earthquake has blessed Nias region in terms of surfing, raising the high tide mark and improving wave quality, as the waves pick up any swell size and are surfable on all tides!
Its broad exposure towards the vast southern Indian Ocean provides these majestic islands with remarkable consistency and quality year round. Keyhole Surf Camp's goal is to provide any surfer the opportunity to score the best waves of their lives. Surf Nias has the experience and local knowledge to get you to the best possible waves as quickly as possible and in complete safety.
A very experienced and hospitable local family owns and operates Keyhole Surf Camp: Timmy & Santi Wau opened their home to surfers in 2003. Timmy has been working on surf charters since 1997 on some of the most reputable boats in and around the Mentawai, Telos, Banyaks and Nias. Photography is one of Timmy’s passions - he will document your surf adventure with advanced photography equipment. Timmy and Santi are very friendly and look forward to having you enjoy their family-run surf camp.
Timmy is a very accomplished photographer. He has the latest equipment and a very creative “eye” for surf photography and composition. Your surf photos will be up close with his Canon 40D and 100-400 EF lens. Timmy is also available as a videographer to document your surf. He uses a Canon XL1 digital miniDV camera and can make all photos available from his Apple MacBook computer.
Keyhole Surf Camp has seven very clean bedrooms each with private bath, excellent menu packages, numerous leisure amenities, and “keyhole” access to the legendary Nias break is at your doorstep.
- 7 bedrooms each with private bath.
- Family owned and operated.
- Convenient access through the Nias “keyhole”.
- Local and western food menu packages available.
- Experienced surfer with local knowledge.
- Airport transportation provided to and from guesthouse.
They are very proud about the meals at Nias Keyhole Surf Camp and have invested a lot of time and energy to ensure that the meals are healthy, plentiful and delivered in the most hygienic way possible.
Fresh fruit such as bananas, watermelon, apples or papaya is available for you to help yourself at all times or ask. Tea, coffee, fruit juice and bottled water is included in the Nias Keyhole Surf Camp package price and is available for you to help yourself to at all times all you need to do is ask one of the staff.
They generally serve breakfast in the balcony area as different menu every morning at from 7.00am to 10.00 am and it includes fresh fruit salad and various cereals such as muesli, corn flakes right through to bacon and fried or scrambled eggs, French toast, banana pancakes, omelets, porridge and jaffle/hot sandwich. There is always plenty of fresh toast and butter, jams, honey and vegemite.
Lunches are generally served after guests return from the morning surf session. Lunch times from 11.30am to 1.30pm and are served in Balcony area. The lunches change each day and you will generally not eat the same meal twice during your stay, they have everything from mie gororeng special, chicken salads, Keyhole triple decker sandwich chicken, fish burger, spaghetti bolognese, pizza through to enchiladas as well as mie goreng and traditional Indonesian Nasi Gorengs.
Dinner is the pride and joy of chef Santi/Mama and Renata and this is where it’s no-holds-barred territory. Whole grilled fresh reef fish, roasted meats, banquet-style traditional Indonesian meals, mud crabs, lobster, curried fish, chicken curry potato, grilled fish, pasta dishes of every type, amazing potato salads, green salads, curry vegetables. Some of well-traveled visitors claim the all foods and dinners at Nias Keyhole Surf Camp are the best food of any surf camp on the planet.
Generally a hand-prepared sweet of some type. Santi and Renata make everything from ice-cream through to banana cakes, chocolate cake etc.
Getting to Nias (Gunung Sitoli):
are 3 return flights daily from Medan - Nias (2 morning flights and 1
early afternoon flight).
Please select flights which give you enough time to go from International - domestic terminal in Medan as well as return flights from Nias which give you at least 3 hours in between them and your international flights from Medan.
Transfers will only be organised from Gunung Sitoli airport which is approx a 3 hours drive to Keyhole Surf Camp.
Surf & Other Activities
- Nias - Main Break: the perfect right hander at Sorake Bay on the island of Nias was the first world class wave discovered in the Sumatra region. Nias was first surfed in 1975, by Aussie surfers. Best size: 4-12+ ft. Walk from your doorstep "Keyhole" and paddle to the line-up.
- Indicator: just above Main break of Nias, also goes off on its day, as you can see in the right side from lounge of Keyhole camp. Indicator as "a formidable opponent to your health, safety, and well-being" - and that certainly isn't far off shallow reef. The wave grinds down a section of reef. At low tide forget it, unless you choose to surf the outside section, which can occasionally offer some alternative on a north west wind. At high tide though and on the right swell, Indicator can offer perhaps some of the thickest, fast and hollowest tubes in the world.
- The Machine is only 5 minute ride by motorbike from Keyhole surf camp. After the 2005 earthquake, the reef was lifted. They usually hit this spot on the high tide when its big at Point of Nias. Low tide is good but you might get a mouth full of reef. Its a long tube and once you come out its an easy paddle back out.
- 8-Frame -
next to Hiliduha village, one of the highest performance waves in the
Nias Islands. The wave itself starts breaking in too way left and right
over reef, fantastic left and right barrels. Located close to Rockstar.
The distance from Keyhole surf camp is around 15km. Access to the break
requires 20 minute drive by Car or motorbike.
- Walo Hiu - A world-class left hander which can produce an epic 5-10 second barrel depending on swell and wind direction. Walo Hiu left is located north of the Keyhole Surf Camp; access to the break requires a 30 minute walk in the jungle or 15 minutes by boat. Left of Walo hiu is a beautiful long left-hand point which peels down the line offering a perfect open workable face for big carving turns or hunt out the inside barrels. for a perfectly shaped peeling left located deep in the Bay of Walo which starts to work on larger swells. You can cruise down the line or hit the lip over and over again.
- Secret right-hander - Sobatu - a thick, barreling right punctuated by a shifting line-up. Sobatu is a sizable right-hander that is known as one of the "big wave" spots in the Nias Island. Located bit north from as Nias point, the distance from Keyhole Surf Camp around is a 20 minutes’ walk in to the bay or a 15 minute boat ride. It has a very large playing field and a few different take-off options including a few rights when it is small - but watch out for the paddle back out! Sobatu isn't known as a barreling wave unless it has some serious size - if big enough it will look more like Hawaii. When it looks like that, Nias point is a much better option. The ideal size to surf Sobatu when small Nias, is head-high to double overhead, in any medium swell size, getting caught inside is a certainty.
- Rockstar is one of the most high performance waves in the Nias Islands. Located south side from Keyhole camp as to Hilisataro village is only a 10 minute ride from 8 frames point/DP. Distance from Keyhole surf camp is a 30 minute ride by car. The wave itself starts breaking in a compact area over reef, remarkably, if you're not paying attention, the take-off can be quite challenging-depending on the swell direction. However, once you're on your feet you've got a really fun, semi-backwashy wave to carve, pull in, or boost on. Even though it's soft a lot of the time with a medium tide you'll have a blast!
- Beach Break
- is located off Lagundi bay Distance from KeyHole surf camp-access to
this wave requires a 5 minute ride by motorbike Just before the
Machine-left. It starts working when Nias point get big over 5 feet; it
is a good place for learning.
The roads on Nias have been greatly improved recently, so now is a great time to check out the west coast of Nias for new breaks previously only accessible by boat. From Nias you can take a speedboat day trip to the Hinako Islands. Local boats can be charted for week-long trips. The right at Bowa and the left at Asu are very powerful waves to also consider. Also consider trips to the Telo Islands.
activities include snorkeling and table tennis, guided Tours of
Botohili and Bawamataluo villages give guests an opportunity to meet and
trade with the locals and gain an appreciation of our culture. Guests
may also trying the traditional Beetle nut - Cuing. With an experienced
guide, explore the back tracks of OnoHonde village and visit various
|10 nights||Single Private Room (All Inclusive)||Room||NZ$873||Per person||01 Jan-01 Jan|
|10 nights||Twin / Double Room - All Inclusive||Room||NZ$794||Per person||01 Jan-01 Jan|
- Prices above are per person prices, and are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations until paid in full.
- These are example packages and most packages can be adjusted to cater for your individual requirements. Please contact us for a tailored package to meet your needs.
- Please click "Enquire Online" to email us or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf travel specialists.
- Nightly accommodation
- Food - 3 meals a day
- A large bottle of water, soft drinks and fruit juice
- Return airport transfers (2.5hr drive each way)
- Private bathroom with flush toilet
- Daily transport (Toyota van) to other surf breaks around Rockstar (Hili Sataro), 8 Frame (Sau’a) and secret left (Walo Hiu) on a given day, or by your request.
- Traditional village tour and/or a waterfall trip – depending on the surf conditions, or by your request
- Free motorcycle with the surfboard rag
- WiFi internet
- Airport tax
- Photo or Video package (The typical photos or Videography package will range between US$100 – 200)
- Surf lessons
- Surfboards and SUP for hire
- Surf Equipment
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Michael (July 2015)
The Perfect Wave sorted our whole trip out for us, all we had to book was flights which makes travelling so much easier. When we arrived at Nias we scored perfect 4-6 foot barrels and got shacked out of our minds for 2 weeks straight. Cheers Glen and the Perfect Wave Crew for a sorting such an awesome trip!