Peru is fast becoming one of the most sought after surf spots in the world. It offers one of nature's miracles: Chicama. Chicama is the world's longest waves stretching over 4kms! The Peruvian coast is littered with similar point breaks with big lows from deep down south sending the swells northwards, and many of the surf spots receive persistent offshore winds.
Chicama is a port and small coastal town in north-western Peru, located in the La Libertad Region, north of the city of Trujillo. Locals have called the waves at Chicama, from the top of the Cape to the pier, "Malpaso", "Keys", "The Point", and "El Hombre". "The Point" is considered the best part of the wave and is the most famous, which will break for around 1km up to about 6 feet in size (Aussie scale), but to ride longer than this all the way to the pier (about 2.2km) on a single wave needs a swell less than 6 feet.
The wave is well-shaped, fast and moderately hollow, breaking over soft sand, but not a genuine tube, nor very powerful, unless the swell is very big (ie more than 6 feet). The bigger the waves, generally the better the wave and the main point will hold at least 12 foot! The wave tends to speed up and slow down alternately, and it is rare to ride a single wave along the length of the point as most surfers don't have the stamina to handle such a long distance! There is also a middle section along the point which is rocky, generally hollower and faster. The complete ride from the Point to the Pier is of about 2.2km, in 10 foot swells.
Chicama Boutique Hotel & Spa General Manager Miguel Vegas, born in Peru in 1977, is a former surfing national champion. He graduated in Hotel Business Administration and boasts a masters degree in Tourism Marketing. He knows all the ins and outs of Chicama - including the best swell conditions for Chicama.
Eighteen 127.5 sqft (11.85 m²) Double rooms that can accommodate up to three perople with an additional comfortable bed, and one 256 sqft (23.78 m²) Suite that can accommodate up to 5 guests. Each room has a private bathroom and a private deck or terrace with a view to the gardens or to the ocean.
Services and Facilities:
- Food and Beverage: Guests will enjoy tasty and healthy home-made food in the hotel´s dining room. The bar offers a variety of spirits and wines, including the world famous Pisco Sour, as well as a series of snacks
- Entertainment: A large entertainment area that includes computers and internet access, large screen TVs, darts, backgammon, pool and assorted table games
- Internet connection: If you bring your laptop, you will be able to access the internet for free from the comfort of your room and from the hotel´s common areas. Additionally, you will find two computers available for guests to use in the TV room
- Health Spa: Warm your body or cool down your aching muscles in the steam room, sauna, jacuzzis and Spanish shower, or enjoy an energizing massage
- Gym: Exercise your body with their cardiovascular and weight-lifting equipment
- Surfboard Rentals: For guests who want to travel light, they offer a variety of boards for rent, in sizes that range from 6 to 9 feet.
- Surf transfers/towing service: With the world’s longest left wave surfers can end a mile away from their starting point. The hotel has powered watercraft available during surfing hours, to allow for more time surfing and less time paddling or walking back to a good starting position.
- Giftshop: In the hotel´s souvenir shop guests will find surfing accessories, t-shirts, caps and a variety of typical Peruvian handcrafts, as well as a variety of essential items.
- Airport Transfers: The resort offers transportation to and from Trujillo Airport. Ask us to package them to your trip.
Surf & Other Activities
The warmer months are November through May, and, the cooler months are July through September. At night, you may need a sweater and a windbreaker. Sunscreen is a must. There are good waves all year round; however, the best months to surf are between March and October. A 3/2 suit and booties are always recommended. The waves are lefts and famous for their length, speed and perfection.
Peru boasts one of the finest cuisines in the world. Dishes such as cebiche (raw fish marinated in lemon juice), pachamanca (meat and vegetables cooked underground) and chupe de camarones (rich shrimp soup) have contributed to turn Peru into a gastronomic destination.
You will enjoy a variety of dishes typical from the northern coast of Peru. Arroz con pato (braised duck and rice), seco norteño (meat and coriander stew) and cangrejos reventados (crab stew) are only a few examples.
|7 nights||Garden View Room (Based on 2 pax)||Double room||NZ$929||Per person||01 Jan-01 Jan|
|7 nights||Ocean View Room - Double||Room||NZ$984||Per person||01 Jan-01 Jan|
- Prices above are per person prices based on twin share accommodation, and are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations until paid in full.
- These are example packages. Package durations and inclusions can be adjusted to cater for your individual requirements. Please contact us for a tailored package to meet your needs.
- International & Domestic Flights – The Perfect wave is a fully licensed wholesale travel agent that has experienced consultants ready to package flights into your package. Please make sure you get flights packaged into your quote as we get the best price rates from the best airlines.
- Please click "Enquire Here" or "On Special" to email
us or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf travel specialists.
- 7 Nights Accommodation.
- Buffet Breakfast
- Internet WiFi
- Access to All Hotel Facilities: Saunas, Jacuzzis, Gym, Swimming Pool, Surf Board Storage, TV Lounge, Games Room
- Return Airport transfer
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Christopher Harris, August 2017,
Bruno organised my trip to Chicama in Northern Peru. Everything was so perfectly coordinated, and appreciated the effort he went to give I was so far from home.
Nature gave me 3 days of 8ft and 18 sec Classic Chicama during my stay and 2k rides...mind blowing. Even at 3ft and 12sec The Cape gave 800m rides with 6 people out. The tow service is a must. I can't fault Chicama Surf Resort. Surf am/pm, beer in hot tub followed by sauna followed by the best food we had in Peru. The ceviche is excellent. Miguel and the staff make you feel at home. Thanks guys and nature for my best ever surf trip. Harrygoessurfing
Experience Begun: August 2013
Created on: Thursday 15 August 2013
A week at the Chikama Surf Resort was great for me as well as my husband. I got to relax , do my yoga and read a book. The food at the resort was outstanding...the best we had in Peru and it was consistent thoughout the stay. Miguel the manager at the resort is the most delightful person , he is very friendly and helpful. The whole place has a homely touch and is run very professionally.