Sling Surf Vans provide a unique way to travel New Zealand with all your surf gear in comfort and style. When you hire a Sling camper van, you are equipped with everything you will need for a New Zealand surf trip, including; a wide range of surf boards, body boards, camping gear, cooking equipment, mobile phone with daily surf reports, DVD player, digital safe, GPS with preloaded surf spots and more!
Sling rental vans are located in the sunny seaside town of Mount Maunganui. They provide amazing service and value for money for travellers and locals alike who are seeking a great way to explore New Zealand’s world class surf breaks.
New Zealand is gifted with such a vast and varied coastline that you are always able to find a wave to surf on any day of the year. With famously long left-hand points, pristine white sands beach breaks and classic river mouth set ups, there is an option to satisfy every surfer's appetite. New Zealand has relatively small surfing population so there is an abundance of empty spots waiting to be explored.
You are not permitted to just camp on the side of the road, but there are many free D.O.C camping spots stretching the north and south islands. Each camper is registered to the free camping spots and a list will be provided.
The Sling team know how expensive renting a camper van can be, so Sling offers extremely affordable van rental hire without any hidden extra costs.
- Unlimited van Kms
- 24hr roadside help
Sling camper vans also offer a range of snow adventure packages. When you’re not out there riding the perfect wave, you can opt to ride the perfect slope instead!
Sling camper vans are equipped with everything you will need for your New Zealand surf trip, including surf boards or bodyboards, camping gear, double bed, cooking equipments, mobile phone with daily surf reports, DVD player, digital safe, GPS and more:
- Model: Toyota Estima or similar.
- Engine: 2.2-2.4 litre, 4 cylinder.
- Transmission: Automatic.
- Fuel: Petrol, 9-12 litres per 100km (approx).
- Power Supply: 12v battery.
- Measurments: Length 4.6m, width 1.6m, interior height 1.2m, exterior height 2.2m (with roof box).
- Power steering.
- Air conditioning.
- GPS navigation.
- DVD player.
- CD player and radio.
- Double bed.
- Storage space under benches.
- Gas cooker.
- Mini fridge.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Digital safe.
- All cutlery and dinnerware.
- Cooking equipment.
- Table and chair.
- Linen, pillows, duvet, hot water bottle.
- Can/bottle opener and kitchen utensils.
- Surfboard or bodyboard.
- Surf bible.
- Snorkeling gear.
Surf & Other Activities
- Shipwreck Bay - One of the best left hand point breaks in the world. A naturally occuring reverse superbank. This spot was the star in Bruce Brown's epic 'endless summer'. Shippies works by wrapping a solid SW swell around the headland so whilst it's rarely flat, it can be small but ideally suited to a longboard.
- Piha - Piha is northwest of Auckland and is the birth place of surfing in NZ. Morphing sand bars assist in creating a very reliable left hander. Lion Rock offers left and right options with backwash vectors from the rocks creating interesting scenarios. Some great beach breaks on the right day to the north of Lion Rock right up the beach. Best at around 3-6 ft.
- Whangamata Bar - The Whangamata Bar at the northern end of the beach is the main spot, producing a long peeling, left hand, sand bar beach break with north-easterly swells on an incoming tide. If the bar is crowded or the tidal flow is too hectic, you can simply move down the beach.
- Indicators (Raglan) - A difficult paddle on a big day, best done from the relative safety of Whale Bay or the headland to the east of it. Indicators is the main break but depending on the size of the swell, another 3 spots can be found along this inlet.
- Manu Bay (Raglan) - Manu Bay is a medium length left hander that ramps along a rocky point, nice longboarding wave.
- Stent Road - One of the better right handers near Taranaki. A great wave easily accessible from the road. Stent Road can handle true size. The takeoff can be a little hairy and the wave will either bowl or fatten out before reeling into a long wall section.
- Wainui Beach - Wainui Beach about 6 kms from Gisborne is the great spot for surfers of all levels . The best waves are found off the southern reefs , offering superb right and left breaks. The Island 1 km before Wainui has Gisborne’s longest tubes. There are two left hand reef breaks which work in big southerly swells.
- Kaikoura - Kaikoura is a popular surfing destination, with quality reef breaks; left and right hand point breaks; and beach breaks all up and down the coast. A couple of national compititions are held here every year. The main breaks here are Mangamanu and Meatworks.
- Papatowai - NZ's premier big wave location. Not for the faint hearted, needs about 10ft+ to break and big, raw southerly swells from Antarctica bring freezing waters.
Sling Snow Trips
Sling provides a great way to experience the majestic New Zealand snow capped mountains. There you can; ski, snowboard, or après ski to your heart's content. They aim to provide a range of options to satisfy everyone’s needs. Whether you are after a thrill seeking experience, or a leisurely trip to the snow. They have the package ready and waiting for you!
New Zealand is well known for fresh powder days, followed by beautiful sunshine with not a hint of wind. So make the most of being escorted in comfort to the ski fields which are located in the central North Island. Slings Vans are equipped with built in DVD players and comfortably seat up to six people. So take the opportunity to sit back, relax and let the Sling team organize everything for you.
- Exclusive Special: Book 14 days and receive 3 days free!
- Prices above are per person prices (2 people per van) and are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations until paid in full.
- These are example packages and most packages can be adjusted to cater for your requirements. Please contact us for a tailored package to meet your needs.
- Please click "Enquire Here" or "On Special" to email
us or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf travel specialists.
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Best camper van ever! If youÂ´re planning a surf trip to New Zealand and you donÂ´t want to organize everything within every detail. Sling is a great solution. Sling operates on the North Island of NZ where all the famous surfspots are and provides a surfvehicel withâ€¦ surfboards (in good shape and every size, you choose!)GPS (to find the surfspots)Smartphone/tablet with all the App you need to check the forecast and find cheep campsitesCooking facilitiesOutdoor equipment (Tables, chairs etc.)Music and DVD-playerBed and sheets Mapsetc.We really appreciated that really every detail was so well thought. The owner of the company kept us updated and sent us massages to the provided phone to let us where the surf was goin off. And we scored!!!Josh, thanks a lot for everything. From a surfer perspective and besides all the surf trips I did so far, I can say your business idea is by far the best!Ride on!Felix
Experience Begun: October 2013
Created on: Friday 20 December 2013
Joel & Michiko
Absolutely unforgettable time with Sling Adventure Vans. The product (adventure vans) even matched the tireless & dedicated service of the hosts, which I've never experienced in all my travels.If I could give a score our of ten it would be an easy 10. If I could give more I would as this is the single best service I've received from any business from any place.We were picked up from the Auckland airport from our hosts Josh and Dave and were told valuable info about NZ on the drive back to Mt Maunganui. When we arrived we were treated to the most delicious handmade hamburgers we've ever had.From there on in Josh showed us his perfect Sling adventure vans which were fully equipped with everything! and all was included in the (competitively priced even without the extras) daily rental charge. This included: GPS, Mobile phone with daily surf report, DVD player w/ cords for all connectivity, 2 x Snorkeling set, table & chairs, digital safe, espresso jug, full cooking equipment incl. gas stove, fridge & eskie, Solar shower, 2 x surfboards w/ storage box on roofracks, wetsuits and he even threw in a spear gun! All this fit under the fold up beds in the back of the van.We had some good surf sessions along the coast from Whangamata to Hot Water Beach and really enjoyed the campsites that Josh chose for us. On the second night we caught 3 kgs worth of Mussels and if I had the nerve to shoot fish with the speargun we could've ate that too. Luckily on days when there wasn't much surf, we could snorkel, and on days when we didn't feel like snorkeling Josh gave us advice on where to go and what to see.We thought that we would take 14 days to see NZ and that would be enough for us. But through our experience with Sling adventure Vans, Josh and Dave, we are already planning our next trip to NZ, and we intend to hire one of Josh & Dave's vans the WHOLE time.This service is unheralded and it wont be long before it will be booked out every season well in advance, so make the most of it while it's new.Thanks Josh & Dave for the perfect holiday.