9 - 17 May 2018
We all dream of surfing perfection in the tropics. The reality is we rarely get the chance to organise our mates let alone getting the opportunity to go with an absolute legend or icon of our sport/lifestyle. Come join us, surf, hang out and talk story with a surfing original, surfer-shaper Bob McTavish.
Sometimes in life certain opportunities present themselves that can not only change your life but, more importantly change the way you view it. One man we know that has the power to remind us all of the way every surfer should view life is Bob McTavish. A man that has lived more than a few lifetimes worth of amazing experiences and knows a thing or two about the history of surfing and board technology. Credited with the first shortboard ever made, as well as discovering many iconic surf spots, Bob is truly a surfing pioneer. Well, here is an opportunity to hang out with Bob in the beautiful Maldives. Not only will you bask on the spacious MV Naera surf charter, surfing some of the most perfect waves in Maldives, but you’ll be able to surf, hang out and talk story a legendary pioneer of our sport/lifestyle. Talk short board revolution, travel, industry, the 60’s, 70’s... you name it, Bob has a tale. Oh yeah and by the way Bob still rips and is pretty much a frothing grommet that will be pushing you to paddle out for another surf with him.
Bob is pleased to announce that his surfing/musician friend Murray Patterson from The Dark Horses and Headland Music is going to be playing some impromptu sets of an evening as extra entertainment during the week. Also professional photographer and videographer Andy Potts is going to be aboard shooting clips and photos. Andy will negotiate price packages individually with clients aboard.
Limited Availability - max 12 surfer spots
MV Naera surf charter - Maldives: North and South Male Atolls
We had Bob in 2013, 2015 and 2017 and the trips were an absolute success for all our clients, as well as Bob. Everybody got more than a fair share of waves and enjoyed living like a king while cruising the Maldivian Atolls.
The MV Naera is the newest addition to The Perfect Wave Maldives Charter Fleet. This catamaran is capable of cruising at night to maximise surfing time during daylight hours
- 16m Dhoni (tender)
- 5m Dinghy (tender)
- Night travel to maximise surf time
- Length: 25.25 metres
- Beam: 10.82 metres
- Draft: 1.40 metres
- Height: 8.6 metres
- Main Engine: 2 x 220hp with 2500rpm
- Speed: 10 knots
- Generator: 2 x Onan/Cummins 37.5KVA each
- Fresh water tank capacity: 10 000 litres
- 2 desalination systems that produce 2400 litres per day each
- Fuel tank capacity: 5000 litres
- Life jackets: 50
- On board communications: Marine UHF radio, satellite telephone, HF radio, CB radio and local cellular phone
- Emergency inflatable dinghy
- Fully equipped kitchen that can cater for 40 people
- Remote console on board compressor fills 4 tanks simultaneously
- Airport meet & greet at Male airport and domestic terminals by The Perfect Wave ground services
- Group return airport transfers (individual transfers at extra cost).
- Return domestic flights for Total Maldives trips / One way domestic flight for trips starting or ending in Outer Atolls
- The Perfect Wave welcome pack.
- Comfortable accommodation in air-conditioned twin cabins
- 16m Dhoni support boat for flexible surf break access
- Full Board – 3 buffet meals daily (All you can eat)
- Unlimited tea, coffee with espresso coffee at extra cost
- Unlimited mineral water with The Perfect Wave refillable water bottle
- 5m Dinghy (tender)
- Western Surf Experience Manager and a very experienced local surf guide
- Use of basic snorkelling & fishing gear. (Equipment is basic hand lines and mask/snorkel & fins. If you want quality gear, please feel free to bring your own with you).
- TPW Quality Assurance Guarantee.
- Maldivian Specialty Beach BBQ (Central & Southern Atolls only when weather and surf permits)
- Maldivian US$6 per person/night Green Tax.
- Musician and Surfer Murray Paterson will be on-board entertainment
Andy Potts – photographer/videographer will be on board - photo video packages available for purchase from Andy at additional cost.
*If your surf trip involves a Maldives domestic flight: The Perfect Wave cannot be held responsible for your surfboards arriving late (on the next domestic flight). If this happens, it’s due to weight restrictions on Maldivian domestic flights, which is out of our control.
- Prices above are per person prices, and are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations until paid in full.
- These are example packages and most packages can be adjusted to cater for you requirements. Please contact us for a tailored package to meet your needs.
- Please click "Enquire Online" to email us or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf travel specialists.
Deposits & Balance payments
- All deposits are required to be paid before bookings will be processed and bookings are not confirmed until deposit has been received.
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Keith (May 2018)
Bob McTavish is a charming host and it was a real privilege to spend a few days in his company. The crew and quality of the food on board were brilliant. Would I do it all again? Yes, in a heartbeat. I can honestly say that it was one of the best weeks of my life.
Michael and Lauren (May 2017),
Thanks for your note… In summary, the trip was amazing, exceeding every expectation we had!
Everything worked well from a travel perspective and we caught up with the group on the flight to and in Male. Brian James made everyone welcome and relaxed, before the next flight to meet in the southern atolls.
First night included meeting the crew and introductions plus all the info we needed to settle in onboard and get ready for the first surf the next morning.
Bob McTavish was a total gentleman and such a pleasure to meet. His stories, his ability to bring the group together and willingness to be involved in all the activities was terrific. His generosity with gifts each night was a highlight at dinner, with everyone receiving something special from Bob with a story behind everything.
Andy Potts took care of the photos and video, which was a relief as there is no way my photos were going to capture the moments like a pro can!
The crew looked after us well with lots of food and any other need we had, which was great.
Nine days went by very quickly, it was amazing spending all that time, initially with strangers, but now with very special friends in a perfect environment.
Most memorable for us was that we got engaged. I couldn’t think of anywhere more special to propose and will have very happy memories and all on board at that time.
Thanks to everyone at the Perfect Wave for providing the opportunity on-board a beautiful boat, in a fantastic location for a bunch of likeminded people to experience the Maldives.
Michael and Lauren
An absolutely wonderful experience, the vessel was superb, rooms were lovely, the food was outstanding but most importantly Brian James our surf guide found surf when there wasn't much swell. The guys got a tonne of waves and were very happy. Compliments to the chef (I bought his cookbook) and the captain. I believe there was a lot of value added in having Bob (McTavish) on the trip also, he is a legend and made the trip for us handing out prizes every night and getting everyone involved in everything. A wonderful honeymoon for us, a wonderful group of people on the boat, thank you, we look forward to trips in the future with Perfect Wave.
Rosario (July 2015)
I had the most wonderful time and caught what was for me some of the most awesome waves. Brian made sure that everyone was catered for. He was great and knew his stuff. Bob, what can I say about Bob? Humble, caring, considerate, very funny, great story teller, awesome surfer, down to earth, lovely man. Everyone else were great people too! We all just got on so easily.
I felt very welcome, relaxed and comfortable. I could go on and on about the boat, the food, snorkelling, surf and great company. We even had a few singalongs which were so fun! Brian recorded some which are pretty funny.
Please let me know when next year’s is on. I would love to do that all again. Thanks again for organising everything. It made it so easy.