These camper vans have been carefully selected as your perfect surf expedition vehicle, with plenty of room for secure storage of boards as well as everything you need for camping in the best spots across NZ. Take an unforgettable New Zealand road trip!
There are hundreds of towns that are worth passing through and make pit stops, to possibly even meet a few locals. Every half hour, you’ll be sure to see something new. Of course, NZ is blessed with multiple surfing coasts, picking up swell from many different sources. It's always offshore somewhere!
The Perfect Wave has partnered with our favourite van rentals to offer customised packages designed for surfers to get the most of the variety of NZ surfing coasts. New Zealand is bigger than many may believe, and tackling the best parts can be hard to identify.
The van is selected so you carry all your boards securely, and still have the room needed to camp in comfort. The Perfect Wave offers recommended touring itineraries, personalised surf forecasting and access to live surf cameras that will enable you to find some of New Zealand best surf experiences.
Rental packages can be booked for both North and South Islands, so if you are keen on a self drive surf expedition, let us help you create The Perfect Wave experience. Self drive trips are flexible, so you can make the most of opportunities from a short trip to a month-long exploration. The Perfect Wave offers you support service, so you can get advice about itineraries and forecasts as you drive around NZ in search of the best experiences.
Whether you’re looking to camp, stay in hotels, or do the ultimate road trip where you rent The Perfect Wave camper vans with sleeping accommodations, we can provide you with the best itinerary and advice to score some of New Zealand's best waves. We offer a wide range of camper vans such as:
- Ultima camper van – Sleeps 2
- Beach camper van – Sleeps 4
- Cascade camper van – Sleeps 4
- River camper van – Sleeps 6
- Rover – Sleeps 4, but best for 2 surfers and boards
Freedom Camping in New Zealand
There are laws on freedom camping in New Zealand, there are still plenty of places where you can pull over and have a sleep, but have a look out for sign before you do, or you could face a $200 fine.
All of our vehicles are fully certified as self-contained and a allowed at designated freedom camping sites around NZ. Information on freedom camping sites and local laws are available while on tour by simply logging into our information portal, or via your on-board navigation system
Surf & Other Activities
New Zealand has no lack of waves, with hundreds of empty spots all around both islands: well-known world-class waves like Raglan, Taranaki, Gisbourne and much more. As free camping is allowed in the country, traveling with a camper van is the most convenient and affordable way of exploring both islands' surf.
If you are visiting during winter, not only is the surf epic, but New Zealand's famous mountain ranges also provide some of the best skiing opportunities. The South Island is home to three main ski areas. There are also world-class ski areas in Queenstown, Christchurch, and the central North Island.
There are plenty of other activities to take advantage of in this country. Hike, backpack, or bike through the many unforgettable trails of the island. Or take a tour of all of the film locations of the Lord of the Rings in this mystical region.
|7 nights||Beach campervan package (Based on 2 pax)||Package||US$1,365||Per week||01 Feb-01 Dec|
|7 nights||River campervan (Based on 2 pax)||Package||US$1,235||Per week||01 Feb-01 Dec|
|7 nights||Cascade (Based on 2 pax)||Package||US$1,205||Per week||01 Feb-01 Dec|
|7 nights||Ultima (Based on 2 pax)||Package||US$1,040||Per week||01 Feb-01 Dec|
|7 nights||Hi Top (Based on 2 pax)||Package||US$767||Per week||01 Feb-01 Dec|
- Prices above are per person prices, based on 2 pax and are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations until paid in full.
- These are example packages and most packages can be adjusted to cater for you requirements. Please contact us for a tailored package to meet your needs.
- Please click "Enquire Online" to email us or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf travel specialists.
- Camper van rental for your preferred period of time.
- The Perfect Wave New Zealand welcome pack.
- New Zealand self-drive surf experience information and itineraries.
- Liability reduction (Nil holding deposit and vehicle insurance).
- 1 GB data.
- Linen exchange.
- Single vehicle rollover cover.
- Picnic table and chairs.
- Extra driver fees.
- 12 volt USB charger.
- 24-hr mechanical roadside assistance.
- Personalised surf forecasting.
- Access to live surf cameras at some of New Zealand’s best surf breaks.
- Fully equipped with cooking equipment, dinner ware and cutlery.
- Log in details. For local information on camping sites, freedom camping areas and points of interest.
- NZ GST.
- Surfboard hire
- No hassle, fast drop off service. (highly recommended). No re-fuelling, cleaning or emptying the toilet waste. Simple drive in and return the keys, no more to pay!
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Joyce (October 2017)
My family and I, surfers and SUPers, did a surf trip to NZ. I was amazing. Lizzy and Glenn were great to work with. They put together a van hire and pointed us in the right direction. Chasing swell and discovering new breaks, to us, every day was the trip of a life time. Hope to be able to use them again. Would highly recommend them.