The Stardust lies on Arugam Bay on the South East coast of Sri Lanka, idyllically situated by the water.
A large lagoon is to one side, where wild elephants congregate for an evening 'shower'. On the other, the gardens in front of the restaurant open directly on to the broad sweep of Arugam Bay and the Indian Ocean - many miles of pristine tropical beaches deserted but for the clusters of fishermen's boats dotted here and there, and little thatched villages huddled just above the waterline, where small children jump up and down and scream with excitement at the sight of a visitor.
Apart from a beautiful ambiance and cleanliness, many small details add to the comfort of each room: Quality mattresses, a mosquito net or repellent (you choose), and of course soap, tissues, a supply of ice cold (or hot) drinking water, and a cup of tea or coffee when you wake up in the morning.
There are 3 different kinds of accommodation:
Main Building Rooms
The rooms are built of traditional bricks, mortar & tiles.
The cabanas are built of coconut thatch (cadjan) & timber in the old Sri Lankan country style.
There is no airconditioning in any rooms because Stardust is situated right on the beach front and also for environmental reasons. The rooms and cabanas at The Stardust are designed and built to satisfy the wish of enjoying the invigorating sea breeze and the freshest air in the world.
It is possible and safe at all times to keep the window shutters open or ajar, when you are “at home”. If you do that, there is no need of the artificial air-conditioned climate.
All rooms & cabanas have attached bathrooms, private terraces or balconies. Sea view from all rooms & cabanas. All ground floor rooms & cabanas have direct access to a big private beach garden.
Rooms & cabanas inclusions:
- Mini bar.
- Mosquito nets & repellents.
- Attached bathrooms.
- Private terraces or balconies.
- Sea view from all rooms & cabanas.
- All ground floor rooms & cabanas have direct access to a big private beach garden.
- Supply of ice cold (or hot) filtered drinking water.
- No air-conditioning in any rooms for environmental reasons. The rooms are well ventilated with fresh sea breeze & fans.
Surf & Other Activities
Main Point: located in Arugam Bay itself. In walking or tuk tuk ride distance from the hotel. It's a right-hand reef break and therefore produces the biggest waves and is most consistent. You can get rides of 400 to 500 meters if you are lucky. It is not a high performance wave but you can get a tube on some days.
- Okanda - picks up the swell; second best after the main point.
- Pottuvil Point - probably the longest wave with up to 600 - 700 m rides if everything connects.
- Crocodile Rock - a beautiful beach with great conditions for beginners and intermediates.
- Whisky Point.
- Elephant Rock.
- Peanut Farm.
The nice thing about the area that most beaches are really deserted and it is likely to find a wave for yourself. Although the main break gets quiet crowded in July and August, you can have good fun if you go to the smaller waves mentioned above.
|7 nights||Double room - Ground Floor (double share)||Room||Please enquire||Per person||01 Jan-01 Jan|
|7 nights||Villa - Double room ground floor (double share)||Double room||Please enquire||Per person||01 Jan-01 Jan|
- Prices above are per person prices, and are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations until paid in full.
- All rates are inclusive of 2% NBT, 15% tax, 1% TDL, 10% service charge.
- These are example packages and most packages can be adjusted to cater for you requirements. Please contact us for a tailored package to meet your needs.
- International & Domestic Flights – The Perfect wave is a fully licensed wholesale travel agent that has experienced consultants ready to package flights into your package. Please make sure you get flights packaged into your quote as we get the best wholesale rates from the best airlines.
- Please click "Enquire Here" or "On Special" to email
us or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf travel specialists.
- 7 nights accommodation.
- Free filtered drinking water, self-service tea & coffee trays in the rooms.
- All rooms have attached bathrooms, mosquito nets and repellents, private terraces or balconies with sea view.
- All ground floor rooms have direct access to a big private beach garden.
- All rooms have hot water. No AC in most rooms for environmental reasons. AC in main building garden floor rooms only for extra AC fee of US$ 14.
- All rooms are well ventilated by a fresh sea breeze & fans.
- Walking distance (25 min) to the finest point break on Sri Lanka’s East Coast
- Free WIFI in the restaurant.
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Ben (August 2016)
Great holiday in Sri Lanka surfing the east coast. Stardust beach hotel was lovely and TPW organised airport transfers and sourced flights for us too.
Great stuff, really understand what a surfer needs
Our beach cabana in 'Rainbow Village' was very clean & spacious and featured an en-suite al fresco bathroom. You can hear the waves rolling onto the shore day and night and a nice sea breeze is constantly ventilating the rooms - there's really no A/C needed. The food at Stardust is outstanding - all fresh and local produce. There's a great wine selection, too. Compared to other places in A-Bay, prices might be slightly higher, however no regrets here whatsoever. Being located right at the beginning of the bay, it's a great starting point for long beach walks. Lots of great surf spots are located a few minutes away from A-Bay, hence the best thing is to jump into a tuk tuk and get a ride down there. Yoga classes are also fab and will help you stretch out those surfed-up muscles. Hope to be back soon!
Experience Begun: August 2012
Created on: Thursday 14 February 2013
Great location for surfing! Was economical and was located well, close to the beach. Accommodation was not perfect but we cant complain for the price we paid. Staff helpful and informative about where to get surf boards, good food, etc. Had a fun two days Surfing at Arugam Bay. Truly is an amazing place to surf, one of the best beaches weâ€™ve been to. Lots of little places to pick up food, not too pricy.