Come and join this conservation and contribution trip, where you will get involved with a community development program/project on Simeulue such as green education, plastic upcycling and turtle protection and at the same time support both Mahi-Mahi Resort and A Perfect Foundation contributing towards a sustainable Indonesia.
Located 150km from mainland Sumatra and not affected by trade winds, Mahi-Mahi Resort is blessed with uncrowded point breaks, untouched beaches and friendly locals meaning it’s a year-round surf trip destination.
Mahi-Mahi Surf Resort is an all-inclusive ecologically minded surf resort located on Simeulue Island, North Sumatra. They provide you with access to surf, marine, and jungle adventures and give back through initiatives that achieve positive social, environmental, and economic impact in the Simeulue and Banyak landscapes.
This 10 night stay will include 7 nights at the resort, where you will get involved with a conservation and community development program on Simeulue island, such as green education as well as plastic upcycling. Then you will spend 3 nights onboard their 42ft 2×300 Suzuki HP live-a-board speed boat, which is perfect for small groups up to 6 passengers enabling guests to surf, snorkel, scuba dive, fish, and island-hop to a variety of tropical islands near Simeulue.
You will get to spend time at the turtle sanctuary on Bangkaru Island, which is an uninhabited island with untouched primary rain forest, adjacent to white sand beaches fringed with coral reefs. Here you will conduct nightly patrols to keep turtle egg poachers away, pick up rubbish and other obstacles from the beach, monitor lizard predation, and help remove barnacles from sea turtles. There are also a range of conservation and community development programs on Simeulue Island (where there resort itself is located), including bird tracking, organic gardening, green education and English lessons for local kids, as well as plastic upcycling.
Rangers play a key role in protecting these turtles and their eggs, and only five years ago before Mahi-Mahi began to revive the ranger program, 100 per cent of the turtle nests on the island where poached – the equivalent of thousands of eggs per month. These contribution/conservation trips help support both community projects on Simeulue and enables A Perfect Foundation to continue educating and empowering remote communities on sustainability.
A Perfect Foundation is a For-Social Change Organisation created in 2015 to educate and empower local communities in remote global regions to make a sustainable difference. Founded by a group of surfers who wanted to give back to the global island communities they frequently visit, they have been working together with local community members and operators to help reduce plastic waste ever since.
All Perfect Foundation programs are environmentally based to educate these remote communities on the importance of sustainability and implementing effective systems for the future incorporating the importance of reducing, reusing and recycling.
Mahi-Mahi Resort has five Bungalows and Villas which are constructed from up-cycled materials re-incorporating traditional antique structures. You can relax in comfort and style knowing you have taken every precaution to minimize your ecological impact.
Each bungalow or a villa has a traditional structure on the second storey, indoor-outdoor western style bathrooms, a spacious verandah, and relaxing living space. Each bungalow has a slightly different interior. There are comfortable, quality single and queen sized beds with mosquito net coverings.
- Single room - perfect for solo travellers located on the lower floor of the bungalows. The room has a private western style bathroom with no hot water. The bedroom has a large fan above the bed keeping you cool at night. The room has ocean views.
- Double room - Located on the upper floor of the bungalow, it has a balcony giving you an amazing ocean views. The room is with a large fan above the king bed and has its private bathroom with no hot water.
- Twin Room - Located on the upper floor of the bungalow, it has a balcony giving you an amazing ocean view. The room is with a large fan above the twin beds and has its private bathroom with no hot water.
- Java Villa (max 5 people) has3 rooms + 2 bathrooms with hot water shower. One room is a king bed room with A/C, the middle room can be either twin bed or king bed but has no A/C. The middle room can be turned into a lounge area if no one is using it during the night time. The single room is with a single bed and has A/C. The Java Villa has 3 balconies with amazing ocean views.
- Bali Villa (max 4 people) has 2 bedrooms with king beds and A/C. There is one bathroom with hot shower water, lounge and kitchen area with a fridge to store drinks. Villa has ocean views.
- Entire Villa (Bali + Java Villa = 9 people) 3 king bedrooms with A/C, 1 single room with A/C and 1 Twin or King bed room with no A/C. 3 bathrooms with hot shower, 1 lounge/kitchen area with fridge and 3 balconies giving the best ocean views.
MAHI-MAHI BOAT CHARTER
The Mahi-Mahi Boat Charter is a 42ft 2×300 Suzuki HP live-a-board speed boat. Capable of cruising at 20 knots, small groups of up to 6 passengers can surf, snorkel, scuba dive, fish and island-hop to a variety of tropical paradise islands near Simeulue and spend time at the turtle sanctuary on Bangkaru Island.
Meals and water are provided to keep you relaxed and having fun. A blend of local and western styled meals are made with ingredients grown and sourced locally, often from Mahi-Mahi’s own organic community garden or their free range organic chicken coop. Scraps and left overs are separated and used for compost for the garden as a form of waste management. As such, they ask everyone to join them in being mindful of your consumption and waste.
Between meals and for purchase, their cafe serves coffee, cakes, sodas, beer, and snacks to keep you fuelled for surfing.
Your stay also includes airport transfers, voluntary trips with a surf guide, free motorbike use and use of all their facilities. This specific contribution/conservation trip will also include a community project that you can actively get involved with during your stay to support the local community.
There are a number of communal areas for guests to enjoy. The Joglo, a large open area made from traditional teakwood, is where all meals are enjoyed and is equipped with a projector for movie nights, a stereo, comfortable sofas and bean bags, board games and books, and of course - a view of the peak.
There are two bar tops for dining, a fire-pit for bonfires, a 9 hole pitch-and-put golf course, a volleyball court, and the main highlight - a swimming pool.
Their “Yoglo”, or yoga studio, is made from coconut wood flooring and antique Javanese wood, providing a comfortable and beautiful studio overlooking the surf. Yoga is provided for free to all guests.
A distinguishing amenity is their satellite Wi-Fi. No other resort on the island has satellite Wi-Fi.
Surf & Other Activities
There's some world class surf right in front of Mahi-Mahi's bungalows, meaning its possible to start surfing on day one. They also offer boat charters to other parts of the island, where more surfing opportunities are to be had. Much of Simeulue Island remains uncharted and there are at least 10 empty surf spots within 20min of the bungalows that cater for all ability levels. However, Simeulue isn't just about surfing.
Simeulue Island offers excursions into pristine jungle and marine environments like the Indonesia of 30 years ago. There are stunning clean beaches, coral reefs, swimming holes, primary rainforest walks and waterfalls all nearby. Visitors can hire a motorbike with board racks and explore the island alone, or Mahi-Mahi can arrange guided tours.
|10 nights||Resort/Boat||Package||NZ$3,233||Per person||01 Oct-31 Mar|
- Prices above are per person prices, and are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations until paid in full.
- Minumum 5 adults required to run a trip.
- Please click "ENQUIRE ONLINE" to email us or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf travel specialists.
Resort/Boat Accommodation Inclusions:
- Return airport transfers.
- 7 nights accommodation at resort.
- 3 nights accommodation on live-a-board speedboat.
- Three meals a day plus unlimited water and coffee.
- Free access to motorbikes.
- Surf guide.
- Daily yoga.
- Use of 9 hold pitch and put golf course, volleyball court and swimming pool.
- Involvement in community project on Simeulue (project to be confirmed prior to trip).
- Assisting the rangers on Bangkaru Island protecting the turtles from poachers, monitoring lizard predation and removing barnacles from sea turtles.
Terms and Conditions - Trip is based on the shoulder/off season which still has great surf for a total diversity of activities between October 2018 to March 2019 and October 2019 to March 2020, trip is also based on at least 5 paying guests joining the group. International flights to Medan are not included, and a night in Medan will be required on the way over.
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.