Intermediate - Pro
Luxury Surf Trip
April, May, June, July, August, September, October
Intermediate - Pro
January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Just about an hour by speedboat from Bali lies a small magical island Nusa Lembongan, where the time hasn't caught up with the busy atmosphere of Bali, and the laidback atmosphere is ever-present. There are no cars or even paved roads leading to the beaches - it's like Bali 20 years ago. This small, chilled island, however, has some serious waves that will challenge all levels of surfers. From easier, playful waves like Playgrounds to real hardcore barrelling waves such as Shipwrecks or Lacerations, all types of surfers will find a suitable spot for them - without the crowds of Bali.
Villa Bukit is a brand-new, Australian-owned 3-bedroom villa that is near the surf and offers great value for money.
Batu Karang is a beautiful boutique resort that caters for couples, families, honeymooners... It's got great food, perfect views and is located in a chilled-out location.
Moggy Catamaran is an exclusive surf & dive charter owned by an experienced captain that knows the area well. Score Lembongan, Lombok and Sumbawa with your closest friends or family. It takes up to 8 people.
Where to Stay
- Luxury Villas - there is nothing like having your own villa with dedicated staff, private pool and magnificent views. Lembongan has beautiful villas that offer fantastic value for money.
- Surf Resorts - of you don't need the whole villa, you can enjoy the stay at one of Lembongan surf resorts. They are all near the waves, and offer beautiful rooms with mountain and ocean views. Batu Karang is one of our favourites.
- Boach Charter - staying on a boat charter gives you a greater flexibility to score a variety of breaks than a land-based stay would. You can score not just Lembongan surf breaks, but also Lombok and even Sumbawa, depending on the length of your stay.
The wet summer season is offshore on Nusa Dua- Sanur east side of the island, with north-west winds usually from early December to late March. This is the least crowded season for surfers. Although rain averages 2 inches a day in January and February, there can still be weeks of sunny weather with perfect surf.
Between seasons can be less predictable, but there are usually offshore waves somewhere on the island. The largest swells reliably arrive mid-winter form roaring forties weather fronts in the southern Indian ocean, although tropical cyclones during summer can send up a few days of solid swell.
Nusa Lembongan – (Dry Season – May to September)
Nusa Lembongan is the quintessential Balinese surf destination that you've dreamed about, away from the 24 hours of in ya face partying and sleepless nights of Kuta. Lembongan is a laid back destination where time - and busy roads - don't exist. It also happens to have some great surf spots. With surf breaks known as Lacerations and Razors you should know what to expect, though there are a couple of mellower reefs such as Playgrounds and Cheningan, a great longboard wave.
- Shipwrecks - The most famous and most surfed of all the waves on Nusa Lembongan, this right produces a good wall for manoeuvres and, depending on the tide, good tubes. Best at medium tide with a 4 to 6 foot swell, but can hold bigger swell on a good day.
- Lacerations - A powerful and very hollow right hander that can produce some of the best barrels around if the swell direction is right. Best at medium tide with swell of 3 to 8 ft. Breaks on very sharp live coral reef, hence the name!!
- Playgrounds - A right and a left with a soft coral bottom that are very easy and fun to surf, making it the favourite of inexperienced surfers and longboarders. Best with medium swell (3 to 6 ft) and medium or high tide.