Indonesia is a magical place and is ideal for surfers with consistent swells and wave machines. The Telo, Nias and Banyak Islands chain is a wave paradise with powerful swells from the Indian Ocean, which are generated by low pressure systems.
There is a variety of waves and less crowds around Nias, Telo and the Banyaks. There are only a handful of boats that operate in this relatively unspoilt area.
If you are looking at exploring the famous waves of Nias and nearby, then why not take a boat trip on board the Ono Niha, which sets off from Lagundri Bay and heads up to Telo Island or up north to the Banyaks through Asu and Hinako islands.
You will get to explore magnificent waves and see the beauty of Indonesia and all that it has on offer.
The luxury boat will let you sleep, relax and surf in perfect comfort and what makes this boat special is that it was built locally in Sibolga, North Sumatra, and is operated by a local crew. The Ono Niha is a typical Indonesian surf charter that has been designed for surf travel and chasing waves.
Not only will you get to surf, you will enjoy delicious meals and you definitely can take partake in other activities, such as fishing or snorkelling.
The Ono Niha will take max 10 surfers on its regular trips, but it can accommodate up to 12 surfers upon request. There are 4 comfortable bedrooms with 2 single beds in each room, as well as 4 single bunk beds in the V berth quarters.
All rooms and the lounge are air-conditioned. There are 2 bathrooms with showers, a main saloon, fridge, gallery and upstairs there is a 360-degree view deck with amazing views out into the ocean. In the main saloon, you will find a TV with a DVD player and a sound system.
The boat is also equipped with fishing and snorkelling gear. You will be served 3 meals a day as well as snacks, tea, coffee and water.
- Length: 22m/61.6ft
- Beam: 6m/16.8ft
- Draft: 1.5m/4.5ft
- Cruise Speed: 7-8 knots
- Main Engine: Nissan V8. 300HP
- Life Raft: 1 Unit sits up to 20 passengers
- Navigation: GPS, Radar Fruno1623, Radio SSB, Depth Fishfinder 350 C and IC.M304 VHF
- Generator: 2 Unit Mitsubishi 300 Kwa
- Dinghy: 12ft/Yamaha 40HP
- Maximum Passengers: 10 (12 pax upon request)
- Minimum Passengers: 6 – smaller groups can be arranged at an extra cost
- Return airport transfers
- 1 night at Nias Keyhole surf camp – you will arrive a day before the boat departs.
- Typically 11 nights accommodation on board the Ono Niha Surf Charter (10 full surfing days) - unless otherwise specified in the boat schedule.
- All food and drinks – 3 meals / day and snacks.
- Tea and coffee.
- Unlimited drinking water.
- 2 free beers per person per day.
- Fishing gear.
- SUP – Stand-up paddle board.
- Airport taxes
- Extra alcohol
- Hotel in Medan, if necessary.
- Photo or video package – The typical surf photos or video package is US$200 per person
- Extra alcohol
- Local souvenirs.
You will need to arrive at least a day before the boat trip to be able to take the boat trip.
|24 Feb 2020||06 Mar 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|09 Mar 2020||20 Mar 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,418|
|23 Mar 2020||03 Apr 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,418|
|06 Apr 2020||17 Apr 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|20 Apr 2020||01 May 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|04 May 2020||15 May 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|18 May 2020||29 May 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|01 Jun 2020||12 Jun 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|15 Jun 2020||26 Jun 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|29 Jun 2020||10 Jul 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|13 Jul 2020||24 Jul 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|27 Jul 2020||07 Aug 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|10 Aug 2020||21 Aug 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|24 Aug 2020||04 Sep 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|07 Sep 2020||18 Sep 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||0||-|
|21 Sep 2020||02 Oct 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|05 Oct 2020||16 Oct 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|19 Oct 2020||30 Oct 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,642|
|02 Nov 2020||13 Nov 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,418|
|16 Nov 2020||27 Nov 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,418|
|30 Nov 2020||11 Dec 2020||Surf Charter||11 nights||10||AU$2,418|
|14 Dec 2020||22 Dec 2020||Surf Charter||8 nights||10||AU$2,269|
- Price is per person and subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
- The boat needs at least 6 surfers on board to guarantee a departure.
- International & Domestic Flights – The Perfect wave is a fully licensed wholesale travel agent that has experienced consultants ready to package flights into your package. Please make sure you get flights packaged into your quote as we get the best rate flight prices from the best airlines.
- Please click Enquire Online to email us, or call us to speak with one of our friendly surf experience specialists.
2020 charter pricing:
The boat is available for exclusive bookings of up to 10 surfers.
- 8-person exclusive bookings pay US$15,000 for the boat for a standard 11 nights / 10 surfing days, Nias to Banyaks.
- 10-person exclusive bookings pay for US$17,500 for the boat for a standard 11 nights / 10 surfing days, Nias to Banyaks.
- Solo surfers are welcome on some charters. Please enquire! Individual rates are: US$1,900 per person for a standard 11 nights / 10 surfing days, Nias to Banyaks.
Disclaimer - This surf trip is an independent surf operator and is not part of or in partnership with The Perfect Wave Travel Co. The Perfect Wave acts as an agent only. We sell various travel related products on behalf of numerous transport, accommodation and other service providers, such as airlines, land based accommodation and boat charter operators. The Perfect Waves obligation is to make travel bookings on your behalf and to arrange relevant contracts between you and travel service providers. The Perfect Wave has no responsibility for these services nor do we make or give any warranty of representation regarding their standards. All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions and limitations of liability imposed by these service providers.
Other Surf Experiences
Peter (September 2018)
Ono Niha offers great value for money. The boat is more in the traditional Indonesian style than others I've experienced and whilst not as luxurious as some it certainly has its own charm and was significantly cheaper! It is very comfortable with a good dining area, air conditioned sleeping quarters and a covered upper deck for hanging out and watching the waves and sunsets. Timmy and the crew looked after us very well.
Michael (May 2018)
The boat was great, we had breakfast, lunch and dinner which were fit for kings and the crew couldn't have done enough for us. They were awesome! We got waves and visited a heap of breaks which was great to mix it up… From our departure to our arrival back home there were no hick-ups with transfers etc. We did speak with other different travellers out in the line-up and told us for their horror stories with their surf camps and transfers etc, so we felt a little guilty mentioning our trip. Great job to The Perfect Wave Crew, you took the headache of organising everything for us which resulted in the trip of a life time! I highly recommend you and highly recommend the ONO NIHA for the trip!
From the moment, we arrived at Nias Keyhole Surf Camp; we knew we were going to have the best surf adventure. Everyone at the camp and on-board the Ono Niha was friendly and knew everything about the surf in the area. The Ono Niha surf charter is a must and you will be treated to great waves, great food and great vibes.
Ono Niha is the best surf charter we have taken in Indonesia. The boat is outstanding and the meals are filling and delicious. The surf was in our favor and we caught some awesome waves.
Our trip on the Ono Niha was amazing. We couldn’t have asked for a better surf trip around the islands. Our surf guide took us to the best waves and our on-board trip was comfortable and relaxing.