Intermediate - Pro
March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October
A relaxing eco-sensitive retreat with cottages on the cliff top and bungalows on the beach. A remote and unspoilt location with access to a number of breaks catering to different levels of surfer.
Intermediate - Pro
January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Intermediate - Pro
Budget Surf Trip
March, April, June, July, August, September, October, November, May
Aussie owned Dreamweaver will have you scoring waves around Lembongan, Lombok and Sumbawa for a week-long trip that anyone can afford. From Lembongan to Sumbawa and anywhere around, this is the ultimate budget surf charter trip.
Lombok is around the same size as Bali and is only 18km to the east, yet there are major physical, cultural, linguistic and religious differences. The deep straight separating Bali and Lombok links the Indian and Pacific Oceans. Whilst Bali is green and lush, Lombok is drier and more rugged with completely different flora and fauna.
Lombok is more chilled out with fewer tourists. It also faces directly into the predominant SW swells, but the quality of reef breaks do not quite match Bali, The Mentawai, Sumatra or other regions. However, bay after bay offers shelter from the winds and there are still plenty of quality options, minus the big crowds which is a nice trade off.
The best known wave in Lombok is undoubtedly Desert Point located on the southwest tip. It is the one truly world class set up, but it is quite fickle and it can get busy at times when it is on these days. Deserts offers incredibly long lefts, barrelling relentlessly over a very shallow coral reef.
Desert Point - When it is on Desert Point is without doubt one of the longest, makeable left barrels on the planet. Twenty-second tube rides are possible, no exaggeration. It is for experienced tube hounds only though, as a sharp, shallow reef lies beneath. 300 metres of pure bliss when it is on.
Belongas Bay - Is a decent left. Quite an isolated reef, it is quite a quick left, with some semi bowl sections. Belongas offers powerful, long rides when the swell is solid from the SSW. Sensitive to winds. It's best when the wind is from the NE.
Air Guling - Is a right that works best on low tide. It has a fast, hollow inside section. It is exposed to wind and swell. Surf before 9.00am or the wind needs to be more N than W. Also there is a short, rippy, hollow left on the higher tide at the reef gap mid bay.
Gerupuk Outside Or Gili Golong - A right-hander, best at mid to high tide. A chunky wave that offers a long ride and a challenging, hollow inside section, which can be quick. Handles size.
Ekas Bay - Is located on the east side of Kuta. A reef break, it has two spots.
Outside Ekas - A shifty, powerful left-hander that breaks close to the entrance of the channel. It can run for up to 200 meters on the right day. A real swell magnet, suited to experienced surfers.
Inside Ekas - A fun, peaky wave, offering a left and right. It requires a moderate SW swell to wake up. Hit the left from mid to high tide, and the right from mid to low tide, hollow and barrelling on inside section. Can get quite good when the winds are from the E quadrant.
Where to stay
Novotel Lombok is a 4-star resort located on the southern shore of Lombok island, overlooking the beautiful white sand and turquoise bay of Kuta Beach. There is a tranquil and relaxed atmosphere set within luscious tropical gardens and it is just 19 kilometres from Lombok’s International airport.
Featuring 102 beautiful rooms, Kids Club, 4 beachfront restaurants and bars, 4 swimming pools and fitness centre. The water sports range from kayaking to scuba diving, or simply enjoy a walk along the private beach.
There are plenty of great surf options on the south shore of Lombok, from Kuta right-hander just nearby, to Belongas Bay, Ekas Bay, Gerupuk and many more. You can rent a boat outside the resort and the driver will take you to one of the surf spots.
Ocean Heaven has a beautiful white-sand beach, natural reef and pure ocean waters. Stunning coastal walks, surfing, cycling, yoga, snorkelling and diving are just some of the activities you can enjoy. The retreat's 5 private chalets are nestled above the beach, with surrounding hillsides as a backdrop. They offer you sea views, plenty of space and furnished in a traditional Lombok style, while keeping you cool and letting you rest in shade. A quality surf break, Outside Ekas, is a good left-hander that breaks close to the entrance of the channel that can break for up to 200 meters on the right day and it is just at your doorstep, directly in front of the Sanctuary … you paddle out from Ocean Heaven beach.
Heaven on the Planet is in beautiful Ekas Bay, south-east Lombok, on 17 hectares above the golden sand cliffs and beaches. It is only 30 minutes by road from the international airport. The road journey passes through the magnificent scenery of Lombok. Alternatively if you are spending some time in Bali, you can journey across by boat.
Heaven is made for leisure. Go surfing, Read a book, swim in the pool, stroll on the beach or relax in the restaurant. Heaven is an Eco-friendly resort.
More than any other island in Indo, Lombok is a year round surf destination. Peak season is April to October as per the rest of Indonesia when consistent 4-12ft SSW – WSW swells prevail and ESE trades blow predominantly.
Smaller, but relatively consistent 3-6ft swells from the same quadrant continue throughout the wet season and as winds tend SE/SW in November and then more W and NW until March there is plenty of sheltered options.
- Desert Point - A long walled and incredibly hollow left hander that on its day can break up to 300 meters, growing in size from takeoff to end. Has been called the best left hander in the world, if you get it when it’s on you will never forget it! Best between 3-8 ft.
- Belongas Bay -This is a fairly typical Indo reef break. Nice and consistent with powerful long rides when the swell picks up. Sensitive to winds. It's better during the raining season with NE winds. Two main peaks - The right: Good peaky right on the west side. Can be powerful. The left - At the east side of the bay. Doesn’t always work, but very good when it’s on.
- Air Guling - 2 breaks - a hollow shifty left, best at mid to high tide. A nice right with a fast inside section, best at low to midtide has reasonable protection from the wind.
- Gerupuk - This is a huge bay about 7 km east of Kuta, and on a big day it offers a few different breaks around the bay. It can handle any winds as it’s protected and surrounded by hills
- Inside Gerupuk Or Bumbang Bay -A right-hander, a fun wave suitable for all levels of ability breaking over flat reef or sand bottom. The big days of southwest swell can be a great time to surf it. This break is surf-able at any time of year, best on the incoming tide.
- Gerupuk Outside Or Gili Golong - A right-hander, good at mid to high tide. A huge wave and big take off at the point, then a long ride when you get to the inside section, which can be fast and hollow. Up to a maximum of 10 foot.
- Don Don - A right and left hand peak suitable for all abilities, can be a real fun break especially on a bigger swell, best on an outgoing tide.
- Pelawangan - Another right-hander that’s good for beginners, only on big days, it can get very hollow on the right tide.
- Ekas Bay - Is located on the east side of Kuta. A reef break, it has two spots.
- Outside Ekas - A good left-hander that breaks close to the entrance of the channel that can break for up to 200 meters on the right day.
- Inside Ekas - A fun peaky wave, a left and right hander, works with a bigger swell, the left from mid to high tide and the right from mid to low tide, hollow and barrelling on inside section. Can get very good when the winds are light, maximum 8 foot.